Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 More Ballistics Testing... >

More Ballistics Testing...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

More Ballistics Testing...

Old 07-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Spike

Default More Ballistics Testing...

Okay guys, I seen a bunch of these tests posted before, but I was born in Missouri, so I usually need to see it for myself! Besides, I need to find my elk load...
Went out today with five 5 gallon buckets layed on their sides, each one with3 inches of wet sand in the bottom, then 9 inches of wet newspaper packed tight, topped with a piece of 3/4" pressure treated plywood with2 more inches of wet newspaper on top of the plywood. I had steel plates behind the buckets to play catch. Shooting from 100 yards with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS with my CVA Buckhorn,I tried the 295 gr Copper Aerotips, 300 gr Platinum Aerotips, 300 gr Harvester Sabertooths, 350 gr Maxi-Hunters and the 385 gr Hornady Great Plains. Frontier Gander is going to love the results...

Old 07-05-2007, 09:56 PM

Default RE: More Ballistics Testing...

nice. I still prefer the powerbelts.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Spike

FG, I thought you had been steering me towards the great plains?

What's with the bullet weights anyway? When I hand load for my .308, I always weigh the slugs beforehand. Just did that tonight with all these
different ml bullets and found they vary quite a bit.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:12 PM

honestly, i was talking to my girlfriend and never saw that i could scroll over lol. the great plains are excellent bullets besides the powerbelts. With my inline i only shoot BS bullets and great plains. My .45 on the other hand will shoot only the powerbelts from now on. The pic of your 295 powerbelts looks darn near close to what i recover when im shooting. If your deer hunting and powerbelts shoot good for you, go with the 295 powerbelt. For elk, the 385 or 410 grain great plains is a great bullet. My dad will be using a 348 grain powerbelt for elk this year.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: n5638b

Okay guys, I seen a bunch of these tests posted before, but I was born in Missouri, so I usually need to see it for myself! Besides, I need to find my elk load...
Went out today with five 5 gallon buckets layed on their sides, each one with3 inches of wet sand in the bottom, then 9 inches of wet newspaper packed tight, topped with a piece of 3/4" pressure treated plywood with2 more inches of wet newspaper on top of the plywood. I had steel plates behind the buckets to play catch. Shooting from 100 yards with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS with my CVA Buckhorn,I tried the 295 gr Copper Aerotips, 300 gr Platinum Aerotips, 300 gr Harvester Sabertooths, 350 gr Maxi-Hunters and the 385 gr Hornady Great Plains. Frontier Gander is going to love the results...
I am really surprised at the Harvester, but proof is in the results. Looks like the PBs and the Great Plains are what you need to go forward with, whichever shoots the most accurate in your gun at 100 yards. Good luck, now you know with that charge what things will do.
Chap Gleason
Old 07-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the test results.

n5638bBeing a hand loader myself I also question the after shot bullet weights. Don't mean much more than a pile of bear dung in the woods with out the before shot weight.
Haven't test weighed the conicals common to ML use but do know that center fire bullets includeing pistol bullets will adverage 5gr. either side of box listed weights.

Al

Old 07-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Spike

Interesting stuff, thanks for going to the effort to do that. If I was an elk, I wouldn't want to get whacked by any of 'em.