Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 what is safe way to unload >

what is safe way to unload

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

what is safe way to unload

Old 06-04-2007, 04:51 PM

Default what is safe way to unload

you all might think im silly but i have to ask. i havnt had it happen yet but i would like to know the safe way to unload the barrel if it doesnt fire.i know what the book says.but i would like to hear from you guys.you all shoot alot.thank you
Old 06-04-2007, 05:13 PM

Default RE: what is safe way to unload

Unfortunately I have had to do it twice. Fortunately, I have an inline. With my inline, I remove the breech plug, dump the powder out and shove the bullet out the barrel.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:38 PM

I do that to if the gun doesn't go off. But like at the end of the season I fire the gun into a bank to unload it. I know you said if it doesn't fire, but just telling you wht I do.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:40 PM

Also, just to be on the safe side, remove the primer even if its spent. I know it sounds silly but I am anile about removing the primer if I have to fiddle with a loaded rifle. Even if its spent.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bear6

you all might think im silly but i have to ask. i havnt had it happen yet but i would like to know the safe way to unload the barrel if it doesnt fire.i know what the book says.but i would like to hear from you guys.you all shoot alot.thank you

[hr]

Lets just say that the rifle ignited the cap or primer but the rifle did not go off...

Pick the nipple or primer hole with a nipple pick first and then try a second cap or primer. Normally they will go off. If they don't try another primer or cap..

So lets says for fun the rifle still has not fired. Now you have to figure out why the rifle has not fired. On an inline you can remove the breech plug and push the works out the end. If you have a traditional though, that is not possible. So here is a couple things you can do to unload the rifle.

With a bullet puller you attach to the end of the ramrod, reach down the barrel and screw the bullet puller into the projectile and then carefully, with steady pressure, pull the ramrod back up. This does not always work with some modern projectiles.

If you have a T handle, hook it to a rope tied off to a rafter in the garage, or a tree limb works. Then when you know the bullet puller is in the projectile, back away from the thing holding the T handle. Or you can put the T handle between your feet, standing on the T handle. Now lift the rifle up and away from the T handle. If you have a good hold on the bullet you will feel it come up the barrel. You can also simply pull the ramrod up with your hand.

If you're not able to do that but have an air compressor... take the nipple off the rifle. With a pressure spout on the air compressor hose, push that into the nipple opening. With as much pressure as the compressor will push, start applying air. It will often times blow the whole works out the muzzle of the barrel.

No compressor or bullet puller??? Take the nipple out and with your fingers, start packing powder into the nipple port. Using a match or nipple pick (bread wrapper wire, old guitar string, tooth pick)pack as much powder into the nipple port as you can get. Replace the nipple and cap the rifle. It will normally fire and blow the charge out the barrel. This also works if you fail to load powder in the barrel but just have a projectile down there. I like to aim the rifle at something I can watch. If you're sure the rifle is loaded, be ready for the rifle to fire. Some people pack the nipple when they hunt, just to make sure that the rifle will fire.

Also stores sell a CO2 dis-charger which works basically on the same principle as the air compressor but is a lot more portable. I have not used one but read reports of those on the board that use them and like them.

Also any time you ATTEMPT to make the projectile come out and fail when trying to shoot the projectile out, be sure and with the ramrod, re seat the projectile on the powder charge. If your attempt moved the projectile off the charge and you tried again without re seating... you could have created a barrel obstruction and if the rifle fired for instance the second time, this could be dangerous to you, the rifle, and anyone in the area. So remember, if you pop a cap on say a dry barrel with a small amount of powder packed in the nipple port and the projectile did not come out, before you repack and try again, seat the projectile back down the barrel.

To check and see if the projectile or obstruction came out.. drop the ramrod down the barrel without the jag on. It should almost disappear in the barrel if it is the true ramrod for the rifle. If it is sticking out of the barrel an inch or two, something is still down there in the barrel.