Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sharon Barrel

Old 06-01-2007, 06:49 PM
ded

Default Sharon Barrel

I have a TC stock and the barrel says Sharon Rifle Barrel in 50 cal. Does anybody know the history of this barrel? Are they good?
Thanks
Old 06-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Sharon Barrel

ORIGINAL: ded

I have a TC stock and the barrel says Sharon Rifle Barrel in 50 cal. Does anybody know the history of this barrel? Are they good?
Thanks
Thompson Center many years ago dealt with Sharon, Douglas, and then produced their own barrels. Sharon barrels were all good shooters and excellent quality. Many years ago, we used to purchase Sharon barrels with slow twists for shooting roundball at the Rendevous. They used to be a very high quality barrel. It is a roundball barrel mostly and their accuracy willnormally be verypleasing to you. I hope it is in good shape.

Welcome to the forum. Its good to have you here.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:21 PM

ORIGINAL: ded

Thanks

Hi DED,
I just bought a Robinson Hawken with a .54 Sharon barrel: I should get it in a week.

Here are some internet infos:

J.Hall Sharon was 79 years old when he died in January of 2002. He made great barrels and here is some information about him.
Sharon was a native of Falmouth, KY. He lived in Sonora, CA for 22 years. He was a machinist and had worked at Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. from 1947-53, and Hughes Aircraft in Culver City from 1953-60.
He owned Sharon Rifle Barrel Co. in Kalispell, Mont., from 1960-70. He was a nationally known gunsmith and barrel maker. He manufactured a black powder rifle marked as Sharon Hawken Kit, which was used at black powder shoots nationwide. His barrels were well-known in the United States and 25 percent went to foreign countries, including one rifle to the King and Queen of England. In 1981, a Pennsylvania-style traditional flintlock with a Sharon Barrel was presented to President Ronald Reagan.
He was a member of Sierra Bible Church, Promise Keepers, member of the National Rifle Association and he was a World War II Navy veteran.
Bear.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sept. 27, 1922 - Jan. 28, 2002
J. Hall Sharon, 79, of Sonora died Monday at Tuolumne General Hospital.
Mr. Sharon was a native of Falmouth, Ky. He lived in Sonora 22 years. He was a machinist and had worked at Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. from 1947-53, and Hughes Aircraft in Culver City from 1953-60. He owned Sharon Rifle Barrel Co. in Kalispell, Mont., from 1960-70. He was a nationally known gunsmith and barrel maker. He manufactured a black powder rifle marked as Sharon Hawken Kit, which was used at black powder shoots nationwide. His barrels were well-known in the United States and 25 percent went to foreign countries, including one rifle to the king and queen of England. In 1981, a Pennsylvania-style traditional flintlock with a Sharon Barrel was presented to President Ronald Reagan.
He was a member of Sierra Bible Church and Promise Keepers. He was a member of the National Rifle Association. He was a World War II Navy veteran.
He is survived by his wife, Anna Sharon of Sonora; and children, Dennis Sharon of Mi-Wuk Village and Steven Sharon of Sonora.
A funeral will be at 2 p.m. Friday at Terzich & Wilson Funeral Home. Burial will follow at Mountain Shadow Cemetery. Visitation will be from 1 to 2 p.m. Friday at the chapel.
SOURCE: http://www.rootsweb.com/~kypendle/obituaries_national.htm
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Etienne Brule, waiting for:

Old 06-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Dominant Buck

All I can tell you about Sharon barrels from practical experience is a friend of mine has one in .54 caliber on a Hawkins. We were shooting free standing style one afternoon at 25 yards. I was shooting my Renegade with a Douglas barrel, and he was eating the center of the target with ease shooting his Sharon barrel. Then to show off, he shot the red push pin thumb tacks in the corner of the target that was holding up the target in place.