Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Smokeless in non-smokeless ML's >

Smokeless in non-smokeless ML's

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Smokeless in non-smokeless ML's

Old 05-29-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Smokeless in non-smokeless ML's

I have heard that some folks are experimenting with using something like 40 grns of IMR 4759 in their encores? Anyone hear about this or do it? I would hope that people would not do this, as it is not designed to handle smokeless.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Smokeless in non-smokeless ML's

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

I have heard that some folks are experimenting with using something like 40 grns of IMR 4759 in their encores? Anyone hear about this or do it? I would hope that people would not do this, as it is not designed to handle smokeless.
For those individuals that feel the need to experiment with smokeless powder in their non smokeless muzzleloader, you're playing with fire and will get burned. There is areason in the manual that they put that warning, that smokeless powder is not to be used.

I was talking to a person a few months back that is a avid reloader of center fire cartridges, and he was talking about maybe trying to use it in his Knight rifle. In no certain words, I told him that it was pure foolishness, and he would end up with bad results.

Even if the rifle takes the load, think of the stress you are putting on that rifle. If you want to shoot smokeless powder, get a Savage and do it according to instructions in their manual.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

I have heard of that too. A definate no-no. I even knowa guy who shot light loads of smokeless out of his Encore, but stopped after myself and several people were able to talk some sense into his head,and he got a Savage.

The Encore may or may not be able to handle some light loads of smokeless. Why push your luck? T/C has never tested it for use with smokeless powders. T/C also strongly discourages the use of smokeless in the Encore and all their muzzleloaders.

Simply put, don't do it. Don't even consider doing it. If you want to shootsmokeless powder in a muzzleloader, geta Savage10ML-II. It is the only commerically available muzzleloader designed to shoot smokeless powders, as well as black powder, and all the black powder substitutes.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

You might be able to get away with it for a few times but its going to getcha sooner or later.
Redclub
Old 05-29-2007, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 1SHOT_1KILL

I have heard of that too. A definate no-no. I even knowa guy who shot light loads of smokeless out of his Encore, but stopped after myself and several people were able to talk some sense into his head,and he got a Savage.

The Encore may or may not be able to handle some light loads of smokeless. Why push your luck? T/C has never tested it for use with smokeless powders. T/C also strongly discourages the use of smokeless in the Encore and all their muzzleloaders.

Simply put, don't do it. Don't even consider doing it. If you want to shootsmokeless powder in a muzzleloader, geta Savage10ML-II. It is the only commerically available muzzleloader designed to shoot smokeless powders, as well as black powder, and all the black powder substitutes.
I got one at Dcik's plastic stock, stainless barrel for $556, cheaper than an encore. Just learing to shoot it. It is a lot different than shooting BP and BP substitures. I don't swab between shots for accuracy! Gotta find my bullet and load for the rifle. Chap Gleason
Old 05-30-2007, 07:51 AM

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: 1SHOT_1KILL

I got one at Dcik's plastic stock, stainless barrel for $556, cheaper than an encore. Just learing to shoot it. It is a lot different than shooting BP and BP substitures. I don't swab between shots for accuracy! Gotta find my bullet and load for the rifle. Chap Gleason
Yes, sir, they are cheaper than an Encore. Had I gotten a Savage first, I would of never even looked at an Encore. And I really, really like my T/C.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:13 PM
Typical Buck

I know a lot of guys that do it with the encore and the knights,had one shop owner to give a long speech of why it was safe in his knight.Know one fellow that cut open some shotgun shell to try the powder in them in his encore.Know a lot of fellows that uses the smokless in their knights and encore to go on hunts in Ohio and Canada.I have been waiting for one of them to get hurt really bad for years but thankfull for them it hasn't happened.(YET)
I have bought 3 savages and feel like it was a lot cheaper than taking a chance on loosing an eye,arm,head or even life over doing something I feel is stupid when even the manufactors tell you not to do it.
The only thing I can think of gaining shooting smokeless in rifle not made to is extra time in cleaning it.If you had to go down in amount of powder to shoot it any degree safter you would get maybe a few ft faster,about the same or even slower than T-7 pyrodex and etc.As to groups a one holer is a one holer it an't going to get no better.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

While shooting smokeless is not something I do nor would recommend, it is something I have mulled over in a theoretical sense. The pressure of a properly applied smokeless load is not neccessarily higher than a black powder load. If, for example, you were to load the equivilent of a 410 shotgun load of powder and an equal or lighter bullet vs the shot charge in a .50 rifle, the resultant load would only produce pressures in a similar range to what many inline muzzleloading guns already shoot i.e. <25000psi. I doubt however that the resulting velocitywould be much different than what is acheived with BP. BUT, the burning temp of most smokeless powders is higher than BP and BP subs so the problems come in the form of more gas cutting of components that were not designed for that type of exposure. They will eventually fail, sometimes much sooner than expected. This is my opinion of why it is a bad idea to shoot smokeless in a gun not designed to shoot it. I don't have solid proof of this due to not doing the testing myself, but I have discussed it with a gunsmith friend that has seen guns that smokeless has been used in. Generally the nipple will burn or blow out unless a stiff load is used, then its anybodys guess as to what will happen. I personally don't want to guess about it so I stick to the right stuff.