Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder Tubes

Old 05-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Powder Tubes

There was a thread on Modern Muzzleloader's In-line forum in February by a fella named Mike Vaccaro regardingtubes for pre-measured loads of powder. He had located some "cut tolength" shipping tubes and caps that he was ordering from McMaster-Carr Supply Co.

In a PM, he told me how happy he was with them and gave me some good poop on cutting them. I ordered some caps andtubes (they come in 48 inch lengths),and made up some powder vials. Used them in my last two range sessions and THEY ARE GREAT! I had 50 pre-measured powder charges ready to dump.

The picture below shows the made-up powder tubes and thehome made cutter I used to cut the tubes into 1 & 3/4 inch lengths. Each vial will hold up to 150 grains of powder.

The 4-ft. tubes are $1.23 each. A pack of 100 caps is $5.53. Two tubes and one pack of caps will yield 50 powder vials. Problem is, shipping cost almost doubles the price - get together with friends for a group order.

The package says you can cut the tube with sissors, but that does not produce an even cut. The board gizmo in the picture is a cutter I made at Mike's suggestion. It worked great. It's hard to see, but there's a piece of razor blade imbedded in the slot 1 & 3/4 inch from the blocked end. I would suggest you use Mike's method and insert the tip of a craft knife blade through the board.

I used the 0.70 round tubes and the 3/4" caps. The vials are flexible enough to squeeze slightly when dumping powder in the gun and it works fine.

If you're interested, go to http://www.mcmaster.com/and type 2044T44 in the "Find Products" window for the tubes, and 9753K54 for the caps.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Powder Tubes

If . 70 is the inside diameter, would it not be better to get something closer to bore? It is an interesting idea. Thanks for the link.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey CAYUGAD, the diameter is just fine. As I said, the tubes are flexible enough that you just squeeze them a bit when dumping powder and they make a perfect funnel mouth. I use them in a 50 caliber, but they would dump into a 45 caliber with no problem.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Dominant Buck

I went and looked at that site. I am thinking more in terms of the tubes with a .40 inside diameter. Then I could load anything I shoot. I could then uncap them and simply put the whole tube into the barrel of the rifle for the dump. Also the link next to them mentions something about red end caps so I am thinking that would make a nice way to carry powder. My concern with the flexability of the tubes is, in the dead of winter during deer season, a lot of things (including me) are not as flexable as they were in warmer weather.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I went and looked at that site. I am thinking more in terms of the tubes with a .40 inside diameter. Then I could load anything I shoot. I could then uncap them and simply put the whole tube into the barrel of the rifle for the dump. Also the link next to them mentions something about red end caps so I am thinking that would make a nice way to carry powder. My concern with the flexability of the tubes is, in the dead of winter during deer season, a lot of things (including me) are not as flexable as they were in warmer weather.
If you want flexable ones, these are the way to go. The downside is that they are about $1 each. I bought 50 of them, 10 for each ML gun I have and 10 extra for my brother. Available at RMCSports.com. They hold 150g of loose, and fit down the barrel. They are flexable in the winter.
Chap Gleason

Old 05-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Chap .. you're right. I have three of them and they do work well. The reason I am looking at the tube idea is, I want to start using my scale and weighing out charges to see if I can sneak a little more accuracy out of my rifles. Also it would be an easy way to carry to the range a number of them.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

CAYUGAD, that's why I went with the tubes - to weigh my charges.Withvolume loadsabout 3/4 of my groups were about twice as high as they were wide. Used weighed chargesfor my last two range sessions and found theyeliminated the vertical stringing I was experiencing.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

CAYUGAD, that's why I went with the tubes - to weigh my charges.Withvolume loadsabout 3/4 of my groups were about twice as high as they were wide. Used weighed chargesfor my last two range sessions and found theyeliminated the vertical stringing I was experiencing.
Wow, did not realize you could shave about an 1" groups by weighing.
Thanks Chap Gleason
Old 05-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Spike

They're just what I've been looking for. I already placed an order. Thanks for the post!!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: redline002

They're just what I've been looking for. I already placed an order. Thanks for the post!!!!
Your welcome, glad I could help. Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: Powder Tubes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.