Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Liquid alox bullet lube???? >

Liquid alox bullet lube????

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Liquid alox bullet lube????

Old 05-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Liquid alox bullet lube????

Is there any good reasons to use -or not to use -liquid alox bullet lube on cast conicals for a muzzleloader?
Old 05-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Liquid alox bullet lube????

I tried it but did not like it. Instead, use the liquid Alox and make some Junior Lube and just smear your conicals with that.

You can Google Junior Lube and should find his site where he tells how to make it. I would post all that here, but am not sure if they would appreciate that and also there might be some copyright ramifications..
Old 05-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wabi, if you do use it... warm the alox then mix it with about an equal amount of alcohol. Takes forever for that stuff to dry if it isn't diluted.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies!
Just curious if there would be any bad results from trying it, and it doesn't sound like it would cause problems.
I may give it a try soon.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Underclocked might have given me something new to try. I admit, I used it in pure form and it was such a mess I said, this can not be of any value. Also there was a lack in accuracy, but the stuff had not really dried yet. SoI will recant somewhat and say, try it. I am going to give it another try.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Get a milk jug and put your bullets in that. Then use it as a tumbler to get it coated even on them all. When your done cut the top half away and you have a tray for them already. Set it out in the sun the heat speed the dry time a little as well.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:42 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Silver_Wolf

Get a milk jug and put your bullets in that. Then use it as a tumbler to get it coated even on them all. When your done cut the top half away and you have a tray for them already. Set it out in the sun the heat speed the dry time a little as well.
Silver_Wolf.. have you ever noticed any damage to the soft lead conicals from tumbling into each other in that milk jug? That is a great idea, but that possible damafe to the bullet would be my only concern. I think I will take a few and give that a try.. I could pick them out and put them on wax paper on a drying table outside so the sun could harden them quicker.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Never noticed anything major as far as damage, but the lead was partial wheel weights so it was a bit harder than pure lead. I just aways inspected them for casting defects and what not after they dried. Tossed them back into the pot if they didnt pass. Or just used them for practice rounds. Just take it easy and gently roll them. Never seems to damage them for me.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Alox for cast bullet cartridge reloading, just didn't think it would be suitable for ML bullets.
Let us know how it works, Wabi.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad, I went to the Junior Lube site and that seems like he's got all the bugs worked out of that recipe. I would try it if i had not already made about 5 lbs of the lube from the recipe you posted awhile back.

Wabi, we had a long thread awhile back about lubes and cleaner recipes.....
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2002671&mpage=1&key=&#200267 1

There are some good ones there. Everyone sharing knowledge,.. it was a beautiful thing

Once you get a batch done, you're thinking, dang that was easy, I'll do another. Then before you know it, you havetin upontin stacking up.

cayugad, How long of a shelf life have you experienced with the beeswax, murphy's and castor oil lube?

Quick Reply: Liquid alox bullet lube????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.