Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 LYMAN DEER STALKER BARREL QUESTION >

LYMAN DEER STALKER BARREL QUESTION

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

LYMAN DEER STALKER BARREL QUESTION

Old 05-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default LYMAN DEER STALKER BARREL QUESTION

would anyone know if the lyman deer stalker barrel will fit a t/c stock and lock set-up
percussion,I think the lyman barrel is 15/16 across the flats,but was wondering if the wedge pin is in the same location .the barrel is a 54 cal. has the 1 in 48 twist
Old 05-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: LYMAN DEER STALKER BARREL QUESTION

It very well might. I base this on the fact that,since you can order a GMB IBO barrel for a Thompson Center .50 caliber (since they are 15/16th on the flats) of which that same barrel also fits a Lyman Deerstalker. They should have the wedge pins in the same place as well as the hooked breech. Granted the barrel might take a little customizing, but it appears it would work. Although I would hate to tell you it works and then it would not. So I will call this an educated guess at this point.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:51 AM
Typical Buck

thank's dave:
Old 05-05-2007, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

It very well might. I base this on the fact that,since you can order a GMB IBO barrel for a Thompson Center .50 caliber (since they are 15/16th on the flats) of which that same barrel also fits a Lyman Deerstalker. They should have the wedge pins in the same place as well as the hooked breech. Granted the barrel might take a little customizing, but it appears it would work. Although I would hate to tell you it works and then it would not. So I will call this an educated guess at this point.
Call GM and ask them or look on their Web site and see if the barrel part numbers are the same. They are $212 on their Web site. I was pricing a 1:28 in FL. Chap Gleason
Old 05-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

dave:GMB IBO barrel for a Thompson Center .50 caliber (since they are 15/16th on the flats) of which that same barrel also fits a Lyman Deerstalker.
CORRECT IT WILL FIT
Old 05-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Dominant Buck

GMB IBO #910100 - #9100105 - #910110 all claim to fit the .50 caliber Thompson Center Hawkins (and under) and also the Lyman Deerstalker, Deer Stalker Carbine, and the Lyman Trade Rifle according to the charts.

So to test that theory out, since I have two .50 caliber T/C Hawkins Flintlocks, and a .54 caliber Lyman Trade Rifle Flintlock, I took the barrels out to see if they were interchangable. THEY ARE NOT! The .54 caliber Lyman Barrel would have split both of my T/C stocks if I had tried to force it, and the tang knob on the T/C does not fit the Lyman tang slot. There would have to be some adjustment there. So while GMB shows the same barrel for both rifles, the factory barrels are not interchangable. Hope this really confused the devil out of you!!! Just kidding.

I would have tried one of my GMB's in the Lyman, but they are all percussion and so the bolster gets in the way of the lock... sorry I could not help you more.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

dave: thanks for that update
I thought the trade rifle from lyman was 15/16" across the flats
Old 05-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Dominant Buck

It is, but there was no way it was going into that Hawkins stock without forcing it.. and I did not feel like doing that today.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

GMB IBO #910100 - #9100105 - #910110 all claim to fit the .50 caliber Thompson Center Hawkins (and under) and also the Lyman Deerstalker, Deer Stalker Carbine, and the Lyman Trade Rifle according to the charts.

So to test that theory out, since I have two .50 caliber T/C Hawkins Flintlocks, and a .54 caliber Lyman Trade Rifle Flintlock, I took the barrels out to see if they were interchangable. THEY ARE NOT! The .54 caliber Lyman Barrel would have split both of my T/C stocks if I had tried to force it, and the tang knob on the T/C does not fit the Lyman tang slot. There would have to be some adjustment there. So while GMB shows the same barrel for both rifles, the factory barrels are not interchangable. Hope this really confused the devil out of you!!! Just kidding.

I would have tried one of my GMB's in the Lyman, but they are all percussion and so the bolster gets in the way of the lock... sorry I could not help you more.
MidSouth has a whole bunch of Lyman barrels for just over $100, here:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?dept=MUZZLELOADING&dept2=MUZZLE LOADING+RIFLES&dept3=BARRELS&dept4=&ve ndors=LYMAN

that is about 1/2 of what Green Mountain sells them for.
Chap Gleason
Old 05-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

The trade in 54 cal.percussion is what I would be looking for but dave say it won't fit.I have a spare percussion lock I would like to put to use in a PA Hunter stock.

Quick Reply: LYMAN DEER STALKER BARREL QUESTION

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.