Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Survival tip

Old 04-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Survival tip

I thought I would give you guys a Survival tip. I like to experiment with different stuff that might help me survive. I am involved in Search and Rescue and I have been on a winter survival training trip before where I had to stay in a snow cave and survive. I did have 50# of gear with me so I do not consider that "survival". This summer I am going to the mountains for a weekend with just a canteen and a knife. Anyways, I was experimenting and I took some of my pre-lubed shooting patches and both mink oil and Hoppes 9 patches made great fire starters. Try lighting some pre-lubed patches on fire and see how they burn. I am sure a wad would be really good soaked because it mainly just burn the oils and not the wad. Look through your possibles bag and see what might help you incase you get lost or something. It is always good to know ahead of time what kind of usefull things you have.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:49 AM

Default RE: Survival tip

I got a little bottle full of blackpowder to start fires with. And flint/steel on my lock.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Dominant Buck

another tip.. save the tins your #11 caps come in. Thosetins can be made into emergency candles using braided cotton string and bees wax. Anyone who ever made a fire with wet cold hands know how easy it is to botch a match. When matches are limited, or starting tinder scare, lighting a candle is an easy way to make a fire. That candle can be put on the ground where it burns nice and bright. Tinder can be added and the candle makes an easy fire starter. With the lid in place taped, it is small, easy to carry, and will stay good indefinite.

Another thing I do is use my kitchen vacuum sealer and seal two books of matches in small leftover otherwise useless vaccumbags. These air tight bags can not start on fire because fire of course need oxygen to work. They are water proof should you get dumped from a boat or canoe, or are forced to cross water, until you unseal them. They are easy to carry in glove boxes, tackle boxes, possible bags, and in an emergency could save your life or at least make an evening lost in the woods a little more comfortable.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

sharp shooter..who and where are you involved with SAR if you dont mind me asking? im going to school for park and resource management/park law enforcement and this was the first semester we ran a SAR class. we ran the B-SAR course from the NPS. i was surprised at how much of the course was survival...

ive always been interested in survival...tons of online reading and manuals as a kid...then id go practice what i learned in the back forty. and id do it with just a knife and stuff id find in the woods..

with that SAR ready pack in my back i could live out there im sure! lol im still building mine...but i think ill fill a snuff can with some cotton balls soaked in mink oil...i know they would definently make an excellent fire starter and would burn long enough to start a fire..that would be a simple NO MATCH fire with the magnesium fire starter and a knife..

i hope some of the kids in my class are never faced with a survival situation...then again those are the kids that arent really in the class to be involved and dont spend much time outdoors..even the climbers and stuff...they might know all the knots and can do amazing things with rope...but i wouldnt wanna see them left in the back country alone
Old 04-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Personally, I've never been lost. However, I have been mighty confused for a number of hours.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

I thought I would give you guys a Survival tip. I like to experiment with different stuff that might help me survive. I am involved in Search and Rescue and I have been on a winter survival training trip before where I had to stay in a snow cave and survive. I did have 50# of gear with me so I do not consider that "survival". This summer I am going to the mountains for a weekend with just a canteen and a knife. Anyways, I was experimenting and I took some of my pre-lubed shooting patches and both mink oil and Hoppes 9 patches made great fire starters. Try lighting some pre-lubed patches on fire and see how they burn. I am sure a wad would be really good soaked because it mainly just burn the oils and not the wad. Look through your possibles bag and see what might help you incase you get lost or something. It is always good to know ahead of time what kind of usefull things you have.
Good points sharp shooter.

In a survival situation anything and everything is fair game for use. The main thing is to keep a head on your shoulders and don't go off half cocked. A few things that are always with me in the bush are; Bic Lighter, small candle, container of waterproof matches,TP, Compass, Light Hatchet, Flagging Tape, Knife and a solar blanket.

Of course if you don't know how to use what you have, it's all useless.

My theory is this; If I am ever in a situtation that I deem dire, look for me in the spot that isn't burning cause I'll torch the biggest tree I can find for a signal fire.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Try drier lint and a knife and flint.Burns like crazy or if near a vehical[Quad/truck]steel wool + battery and two wires.The steel wool will turn orange so watch your fingers.For outdoor stove/heat take a steel tobacco can with screw on or push on tight fit lid ,insert a whole roll of toilet paper then soak it with lighter fluid ,all it will take.This can be opened and lit when needed and snuffed out by simply putting the top back on......Try it out.....Harold
Old 04-29-2007, 05:47 PM

Dryer lint doesnt always work. Ive tried it a few times and most of the time the synthetic stuff pulled from clothing didnt go up in flame. Works great when you finish drying cotton clothing, such as socks and undies. Great stuff to put in a little bag along with a piece of flint and steel.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

I forgot to mention if it has pet hair in it it doesn't burn as nice.Otherwise it works although other materials mayprove better...........Harold
Old 04-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

A cotton ball loaded with vasaline makes a great fire starter. You take the cotton ball and a dollop (technical term) of vasaline and work it in real good. You can pack a couple in an old primer tin or 35 mm film canister. just fluff and spark with a flint and striker. Burns like crazy.

HH

Quick Reply: Survival tip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.