Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

NewB here...

Old 04-14-2007, 12:55 PM

Default NewB here...

I am thinking of trading my p90 45 pistol for a knight disc extreme. It is a brand new gun, and will be my first black powder. I paid 300 for the pistol so to me it sounds like a great deal. What do you guys think? Thanks for any info.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NewB here...

Dave, that would be a good rifle. I don't prefer the plastic jacket system - but they are nice rifles. Whether it's a good deal or not depends on how you feel about the deal one day after you make it.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Dominant Buck

welcome to the forum.

The rifle you spoke of is a great rifle. I have an original Disk rifle and it is a good shooter. The plastic disc is not as bad as it sounds. You can reload them a couple times. And when it comes to hunting, the rifle is basically water proof. You carry a couple discs in your pocket, no cappers, de cappers, etc. Just drop a primed disc in and close the bolt.

These are one of the best shooting rifles ever. They are know for their long range ability and power. You could not have made a better choice IMO. Like UC said, if you're happy with the deal then it is a good deal. Good luck with your rifle should you choose to get one.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:07 PM

Sounds like a great trade! I'm all for Knights but prefer them TCs.

Just get what you want.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

I say its a good deal. I have 2 Knight Disc's and I too like the primer system when it comes to hunting. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DaveChandler

I am thinking of trading my p90 45 pistol for a knight disc extreme. It is a brand new gun, and will be my first black powder. I paid 300 for the pistol so to me it sounds like a great deal. What do you guys think? Thanks for any info.
That is a good trade. I have a Knight Regular Disc and I like it. The Disc Extreme has a longer barrell which helps accuracy. If your getting a scope and a lot of hunting supplies (powder, bullets, short starter, etc) that stuff is worth about$50 to$100, so I think the deal is a good one. You will like the feel and solidness of the Knight rifle, they are accurate.
The good thing about a Knight Disc is that the disc that holds the 209 primer is a lot bigger than the primer and it is actually easier to load and remove. In fact I got the biggest buck I ever got in my lifewith a Knight Disc at first lightat about 50 yards, and I attribute it to being able to load the rifle quickly because of the disc.I had just gotten up in a tree stand, put my safety belt on, and therehe was. I had to pull my rifle up via a rope, put the primer in, aim and shoot. I did this very quickly, maybe 5 or 10 seconds, no way I could have done this with my omega, since the handling of the smaller 209 primerrather than the disc is a lot harder for me. It is a small point, butI considerthis an advantage to theDisc. The are also weather proof.
Chap Gleason Va
Old 04-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I could not get a TC I would get a knight they make a great rifle. Lee
Old 04-14-2007, 10:20 PM

Thanks guys for all the info. I think I am going to end up getting the gun next week some time. What powder and bullet would you guys recommend? Again thanks all.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Dominant Buck

My Disc rifles like loose Pyrodex RS and Triple Se7en 2f. When I shoot Pyrodex I shoot 120 grains of it and a 250 gr shockwave. It also shoots XTP's very well. When I shoot Triple Se7en I shoot 110 grains of that.

My Disc rifle is older technology to the one you're getting but they are good shooters all the same. If you ask Knight want to shoot they always tell you two pellets and Knight Red Hots.

Good luck with your rifle.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DaveChandler

Thanks guys for all the info. I think I am going to end up getting the gun next week some time. What powder and bullet would you guys recommend? Again thanks all.
I shoot Nosler Partition 300g in my Disc with 100g of loose 777.However they are expensive now costing $50 for 50 bullets. I have one box of 50 left and I will shoot them this fall then go over to Gold dots.If I were you I would useSpeer Gold Dot260 or 300g over 80g of loose 777, work up from there.GD are about $15 for 50, and loose 777 is much less costlier than 777 pellets. This is a good load out to about 100-125 yards.Most of the Barnes bullets are excellent with 100% weight retention, but again they are costly (about $1/bullet). I use crushed rib sabots, for $5 for 50 in all my guns, makes loading a lot easier. Youcan use Knight Red Hots they are an excellent bullet, made by Barnes.
Chap Gleason VA

Quick Reply: NewB here...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.