Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Powerbelts are the way to go >

Powerbelts are the way to go

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powerbelts are the way to go

Old 04-01-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Powerbelts are the way to go

I did some shooting yesterday, first 3 were with the maxi hunters and didnt group well. Next 2 were with the 225 aerotip powerbelts lettered A & B. Im getting ready to try these out @ 100 yards in about half an hour and see how they do. Starting out with 70 grains RS and work it up from there.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:50 PM

Default RE: Powerbelts are the way to go

Ok, first shot at 100 yards, 60 grains rs " forgot i wanted to shoot 70" 225 powerbelt. First shot i aimed at the top of the black circle and hit a bullseye, 2nd and 3ed are grouping up seems like it shoots high on the second and 3ed shot. Right now im set to go with this load. 2nd and 3ed could have been from movement but right now, the #1 is the one im always looking to get the best shot from and make it count. Wind started kicking up pretty good once i was packing up so hopefully it will calm down in the evening. But as of right now, if the season started tomorrow, i'd feel confident with the rifle and load.
From center to center on #2 and 3 shots, its 2 7/8" and from 1st to 2nd, 3 1/4". May just take it to the NRA this week and shoot it off sandbags and see how it does. First shot is hard to see, i even had a hard time at first when i walked up to it, Darn near turned away lol.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:06 PM

Uh oh! Its not the fouling, I took 3 more shots but i swabbed, first was near the bullseye, second was about 2" higher and the 3ed was way low and hit the rock holding my box down. What did i find? The little yellow plastic skirt stuck in the rock along with a few fragments! Fragments dont bother me, they were small and the bullet took out a silver dollar size chunk out of the rock, but now this explains why the 2nd and 3ed shot were not grouping with the 1st. I used a new pack and didnt spin the skirt and i took a bullet and they are really tight, after rolling them a few times and popping them off and on, they come off a lot easier. I even swabbed between each shots and when i took a look i was like, WTF!?! Then i found the lil skirt and felt a lot better. So problems solved, just have to twist them and loosen them up a bit.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

X-150

Please don't let the yellow plastic skirts cause you any headache. In my experience they always blow into two pieces. One round frizzie halo part, and the inner ring directly connected to the powerbelt post stays with it all the way to the target. This is because CVA uses a different(Cheaper!) skirt polymer, closer to ABS plastic, that is not as tough and resillant as the 50 cal skirts[:@] I never even spin the skirts anymore, just load and fire

This does not effect accuracy at all, and is normal for the 45cal PB's. I would strongly recommend the 275grain or better yet, the 300grain Platinum. And continue to use Only 70grains of powder.

This load will be a real tack driver, and good too at least 120yards

If you do go with the 300g Platinums, Do Not Spin, or take off and on the skirts!! These are Great! And need no messing with at all. If you do, you run the risk of loosening them too much. And they Will Not grip the bullet tight enough to keep it in the barrel. PB might jar itself free and slide out, or worse yet, slide aways down and stop. This would make for a very unsafe condition!!

Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:01 PM

Im going to give the platinums a try just for the heck of it. This was just a minor setback, aslong as the first bullet hits where i am, im okay with it but i will due some more testing tomorrow and see how they shoot once i break the skirts loose. But other than that, this rifle has been shooting them great.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

At about $1 each, I don't even consider them any more.
Bull Shop conicals are delivered for about 25 cents each and do everything a pb will or more.
But nice shooting.

Steve
Old 04-01-2007, 08:23 PM

I bought 4 packs off ebay for $33 + shipping. It was around $8.50 a pack.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Better, but still 2 to 3 times what the BS are - and offer ME nothing more.
JMO
Steve
Old 04-01-2007, 08:39 PM

Tried the maxi hunters and the barrel didnt like them. So its pretty much a buy one type, give it a try and then move on to the next if the other didnt work. So far the powerbelts and the barrel fit great and shoot great. Atleast they will once i loosen up the skirts. I dont think BS makes a lower grain .45? I always saw them for .50+
Old 04-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure he does. The bullets in the pic that I threw together for him are just his more common ones. Email him and tell him just what you need. Betcha he can fix you up. Be sure on the bore dimension though.

Quick Reply: Powerbelts are the way to go

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.