Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 cleaned my barrel with a steam cleaner >

cleaned my barrel with a steam cleaner

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cleaned my barrel with a steam cleaner

Old 03-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default cleaned my barrel with a steam cleaner

I bought a steam cleaner at Wal-Mart yesterday for $39 and tried it out on my blackpowder. I had some crud that I was having to work at to remove, hard, white rings, so I tried this steam cleaner. I took the barrel off and held it with a thick leather glove on and shot steam through it for a few minutes. Then I cleaned the barrell and threads to the breach - this worked amazing. It got so hot you couldnt touch it even for a split second.

Im sure this is not an origional idea, but this amazed me how well it worked. After a long shooting session I will do this every time.

The back of my number thirteen cleaner says to use scalding hot water through the barrell and Ive never quite figured a good way to do this without making too much of a mess and getting my scope unnecessasarily wet.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cleaned my barrel with a steam cleaner

ORIGINAL: andrewjoseph

I bought a steam cleaner at Wal-Mart yesterday for $39 and tried it out on my blackpowder. I had some crud that I was having to work at to remove, hard, white rings, so I tried this steam cleaner. I took the barrel off and held it with a thick leather glove on and shot steam through it for a few minutes. Then I cleaned the barrell and threads to the breach - this worked amazing. It got so hot you couldnt touch it even for a split second.

Im sure this is not an origional idea, but this amazed me how well it worked. After a long shooting session I will do this every time.

The back of my number thirteen cleaner says to use scalding hot water through the barrell and Ive never quite figured a good way to do this without making too much of a mess and getting my scope unnecessasarily wet.

Yea my wife has one of those for taking off wall paper and cleaning build up grease. I will give it a try, good idea. Chap Gleason
Old 03-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Dominant Buck

What ever works for you is what I say. If the steam cleaner works for you, then that would be a way to do it.

Personally on my inline rifles, even those with scopes, I make up a batch of as hot as I can stand water with Dawn Dish Washing Liquid in it. I break the gun down of course, no stock, breech plug and hammer striker removed, etc. Then I pour hot soap water down the barrel. After that I just lay that barrel across the sink and squirt a dab of Dawn into the open breech and use a breech brush, working all of that into a bubble festival. After all the parts and scope are cleaned with a old tooth brush and a nylon brush, I dump more hot dishwater down the barrel as a rinse. The breech threads are as clean now as when the rifle was new. All the parts are nice and clean, and it really cost me next to nothing.

I then take all those parts onto the cleaning table, and run a few solvent patches through them, a few drypatches, and then oil the whole thing up again. It takes me very little time now to really clean the rifle perfect.

That's another reason I like the Warne Maxima QD rings. I can take the scope off. And then I can scrub the bottom of the scope the rings, and the rest of the rifle with ease. Those rings were suggested to me by Underclocked and it was the first thing he was ever right about.. Just kidding there Underclocked. But the rings have really made cleaning the rifle a lot easier.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I knew you were kidding. Made a mistake and thought I was wrong once.

yeah, right!
Old 03-12-2007, 09:21 PM

andrewjoseph said: "I took the barrel off and held it with a thick leather glove on and shot steam through it for a few minutes. Then I cleaned the barrell and threads to the breach - this worked amazing. It got so hot you couldnt touch it even for a split second."

My wife suggested I try her steam cleaner to clean my muzzleloader, and I laughed at her. Maybe she'll have the last laugh. Andrewjoseph: when you said you "shot steam through it for a few minutes", just how long did you shoot the steam through? A couple minutes? five?
Old 03-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: take1a

andrewjoseph said: "I took the barrel off and held it with a thick leather glove on and shot steam through it for a few minutes. Then I cleaned the barrell and threads to the breach - this worked amazing. It got so hot you couldnt touch it even for a split second."

My wife suggested I try her steam cleaner to clean my muzzleloader, and I laughed at her. Maybe she'll have the last laugh. Andrewjoseph: when you said you "shot steam through it for a few minutes", just how long did you shoot the steam through? A couple minutes? five?
After thinking about it, I probably kept the staem shooting through it for two minutes, mabye 90 seconds. This seemed to get the barell plenty hot with a lot of moisture. We cleaned a buddy of mines barell that had some built up crud in it and it worked great for him. I just use the little attachment that shoots steam out in a very small pattern, with no brush or anything.

I would reccommend anyone whose wife had one - or if you have one - to try it.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I've been looking for an excuse to buy one of those steam cleaners, thanks! [8D]
Old 03-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

Careful boys! Next thing you know she'll have you doing housework![]Word of advice,play dumb with the laundry too or you'll have a job for life!I found boiling a load of her clothes ignoring the washing instuctions pretty well got me out of that chore...........P.S. the wife doesn't fall for the old trick of sneaking new guns home anymoreby telling her "you've had this one for years and I'm just getting back from the range"I'm working on a new angle for that one...................Harold
Old 03-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

That one worked for me until wife caught me with a new Ruger 44 Super BlackHawk I bought in 05.Hard to explain a Big Scoped Handgun in the house for years Had to do some fast talkin on that one.I always sneak in the new guns,rods,reels etc.. take em outa the box real quick and put them away before she gets home.