Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 The Remington Genesis >

The Remington Genesis

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Remington Genesis

Old 03-11-2007, 05:15 PM

Default The Remington Genesis

I bought a Remington Genesis 50 cal muzzleloader last season. It shoots good with 100 grains of powder and 295 grain powerbelts. The issue im having is when I load the gun up and leave it loaded it wont fire the next day. I can shoot the gun 4,5,6,7 times in a row and it fires everytime. But when I clean it and load it the next day it wont fire. If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:21 PM

Default RE: The Remington Genesis

Could be youre not getting all of the wetness out of the breechplug and its soaking the powder. Do you run a pick through the breechplug hole before you fire it?
Old 03-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Dominant Buck

hrdeerslayer - if you mean you load it and hunt with it all day then bring it home without being fired, and the next day it will not fire. I will guess there is a temperature change somewhere and condensation is taking place. If you are saying you can prep the rifle, load it, set it in a corner and the next dayit will not fire, then I would guess that your prep routine is wrong.

Under what circumstances or what took place, prior to the rifle not shooting?

Old 03-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hrdeerslayer

I bought a Remington Genesis 50 cal muzzleloader last season. It shoots good with 100 grains of powder and 295 grain powerbelts. The issue im having is when I load the gun up and leave it loaded it wont fire the next day. I can shoot the gun 4,5,6,7 times in a row and it fires everytime. But when I clean it and load it the next day it wont fire. If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.
If you bringing it in from the cold, then moisture is getting to the power via condensation.

If you loading it the night before you go hunting and leaving the charge in there all night, change to cleaning your plug with 91% rubbing alchaol and drying it by browing it out with compressed air (buy one of the cans that you clean computer fans with) also make sure you clean your barrel DRY and don't put on gobs of bore butter, only a little bit.Here is a procedure writtenup by Randy Wakeman:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/clean_muzzleloader.htm

Also read your manual. My brother runs his gun parts (flint lock lock all the metal parts) thru the dish washer, but my wife I suspect wouldn't allow that. Good luck.
Chap Gleason Va
Old 03-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

hrdeerslayer

The issue im having is when I load the gun up and leave it loaded it wont fire the next day. I can shoot the gun 4,5,6,7 times in a row and it fires everytime. But when I clean it and load it the next day it wont fire.
My only question would be after you clean and before you reload it are shooting a couple 209's first. I personally have some cans of compressed air and I shoot air through the breech plug also after cleaning. By discharging a couple of 209's you will clean and dry the breech plug. Then just DAMP - not wet - patch the barrel to get the primer residue out, then run a couple of dry patches and load the gun up.

I always load the night before and might leave the gun loaded for weeks if I do not feel the load has been compromised.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:20 PM

Make sure your barrel is dry before storage. It's easier to prevent condensation than remove a stuck load. Just run some dry patches through before loading it and maybe shoot off some primers while it's unloaded. You are simply somehow getting condensation so find out why and learn to prevent it.

I have a room in the very humid basement and leave my gun loaded for weeks. It has fired every single time for me and I've never had a misfire. I guess I get lucky.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:23 PM

I can shoot the gun and clean it and then load it and the next day it wont go off. There was a time last year when my dad used the gun in Iowa. He shot a deer and missed. He then reloaded the gun and the next day when he went to shoot at another deer the gun didn't go off. I first thought that it could be condensation but im not sure now. The first time I experience the issues was last season when after I got done hunting up north. I shot a deer up there on opening day and then I loaded the gun again. I left the gun loaded for a week and then went to unload it and it didn't go off. The gun stayed out in the cold the whole time. I thought it was always best to leave them in the cold. Is it better to leave it in the cold or in the warm?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the info. I have never fired the primers off before loading.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:40 AM

If it's cold outside when you come back and warm inside or vice versa just leave the gun cased for a while after taking it inside.

Honestly, I see no other way it could possibly not fire if it's not condensation.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Spike

Is it posible that the firing pin is not operating correctly due to too much oil that when it gets cold doesn't let it function correctly- too much drag due to excessively thick oil vicosity at lower temperatures. The wrong oil at low air temperature has been known to do that in alot of rifles. Try cleaning the trigger and firing pin assembly, then reoil with a light oil say something lick door lock oil for your car( it also has graphite in it to help lub ). I hope this helps with your problem.