Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bullets for New Muzzleloader >

Bullets for New Muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullets for New Muzzleloader

Old 02-24-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Bullets for New Muzzleloader

Just got my new T/C Pro hunter and had some questions. What is the best load and bullet. i was thinking about shooting 150 grains powder with a 250 grain bullet and buying one of those nikon omega scopes with the bcd. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bullets for New Muzzleloader

ORIGINAL: blax1142

Just got my new T/C Pro hunter and had some questions. What is the best load and bullet. i was thinking about shooting 150 grains powder with a 250 grain bullet and buying one of those nikon omega scopes with the bcd. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
My broter has an Encore, which is similar to the Pro hunter (they have the same barrel I believe), and he shoots Harvester SabreTooth 300g:
http://www.harvesterbullets.com/loadSaber.htm

with 3 777 pellets. I think if you shot 2 pellets or loose 777 you would be better off since you could then shoot say 90 to 110g which is what I recall that rifle liked, there is a "sweet point somethere in that range where a given rifle shootsthe most accurate. Also look at load data in your owners manual. They have excellent recommendations from the factory.

The Nikon Omega scope in 3x9x40 would be excellent scope with Leoupold mounts. Enjoy, it is a lot of fun MLing. In fact,a lot like bow hunting, but greater distances and 1 shot, usually is all ya get.
Chap Gleason Va.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

You never know till you shoot it what it will shoot best with,a quite a few people seem to be finding out that for the necessary accuracy that the majority shoot best 110 to 130 and not to many shoot tight groups with 150.
How ever if it works out that way for you try the 50/40 200gr shock wave they tend to shoot good with heavy loads and might well be closer to a good answer. Lee
Old 02-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Loose powder = I would try 120 grains of FFg and a 250 grain shockwave
pellets = I would try two or three pellets and the same bullet for starters.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad, do you happen to know how close omega scopes with the bcd come to the range increments with that 120 loose RS load? Mine will shoot a one hole group with that load and I had thought about that scope?
I have also thought that the 50/40 with the 200 gr load which will shoot good groups with every thing from 90 to 150 should have a sweet spot where it would match up. I am almost inclined to try the xbow scope which is adjustable for different trajectorys but I have no idea what recoil would do to it. Lee