Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 replacement .54 renegade barrel >

replacement .54 renegade barrel

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

replacement .54 renegade barrel

Old 02-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default replacement .54 renegade barrel

Hi, I need a replacement barrel for my .54 Renegade caplock and have been getting conflicting advice as to what route to take.I want to shoot conicles only specifically, TC maxi-balls 430gr and Lyman great plains 450 gr.The previous owner wasn't real big on cleaning his guns,hence the sewer pipe barrel.I'm looking at Green Mt.1-28" twist and TC 1-48" twist for the job.Not sure which way to go.Experienced hunter new at blackpowder.Thanx Harold
Old 02-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: replacement .54 renegade barrel

Pioneer2

Here is my 2 bits - go with the 1/28 - I have both and shooting conicals from a 1/28 is much more succesfull than the 1/48. The 1/48 was designed a happy medium for shooting round balls and conicals.... the 1/28 will allow you to shoot a wide variety of conicals and sabots - while it will not shoot round balls with a lot of authority - it will shoot them...

Old 02-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Pioneer2 - welcome to the forum.

While I am not doubting your need for a replacement barrel for your .54Renegade, what conicals have you triedout of that barrel? Also what makes you believe that it needs to be replaced?I have four of them and three of the four will all shoot conicals pretty good. If all your shots were 100 yards and under, I think that the barrel you have could work for you if you find the rightconical. I normally shoot maxiball, REAL 300 & 380 grain conicals,Hornady Geat Plains in 424 grain, and on my next order to No Excuses, I am going to get a pack of the .54 caliber and see if the rifles will shoot them as well.

If you want a 1:28 the GMB is a great one. They come in .50 & .54caliber. I also have a .50 caliber and it is a good conical shooter so far. I am still trying different conical with the rifle but things are looking good.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

on my next order to No Excuses, I am going to get a pack of the .54 caliber and see if the rifles will shoot them as well.
Careful on your order of the .540 No Excuses - I just sent a box back... In all three of my 54's - 2 renegades and the Lyman Trade Rifle they dropped right to the bottom of the bore and tipped upside down fell right back out.

They measure .540 on the nose - so you might want to slug your bore - all three of my 54's need a .543/.544... but in my hunting partners 54 Hawken, a newer one with the QLA, they load perfect. Talking to Dan, (Bull Shop) the new 54 Hawken he just traded for also can use the .540... What do your Renengades slug out to?

Old 02-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Dominant Buck

I have no idea what they slug out to.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

sabotloader, both of my renegades are between 543 and 544.
Pioneer2, In my opinion the best twist for conicals is around 1-32 my 1-38 does a good job with them also the 1-48 will do a decent job with both PRB and conical it will even shoot a decent group with the shorter bullets and sabots but if you go past what the individual gun does to the rule of thumb for heavy hunting loads as I see it the 1-70 for PRB the 1-32 -to 1-38 for conicals and short bullets in sabots and the 1-28 for heavier bullet and conicals especally with 70 to 90 gr loads that dont kick you into next week. Lee

Old 02-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

(Pioneer2) not trying to steal your thread - hope you get more answers to your question, but if your 1/48 is gone - then I really do recommend the 1/28 GM barrel - I wish I could justify ordering one myself...

Have you shot TC 435 grain Maxi-hunters from your 54's? They measure .545 on the bottom ring and .546 on the top ring - they thumb down the barrel just like the .503's in the GM 50 barrel.

I ordered some .475 grain .544 Sharps lead conicals from Dixie - want sto see what they load like... Dan is also geering up to build some 54's...

Old 02-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Maybe I will wait for Dan and have him make me some of the .54 caliber bullets. I just got my .50 caliber order from him, so it is not like I do not have a lot of lead to shoot. PlusI have some other projects to get started.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

lemoyne

I guess the only reason I suggest the 1/28 for conicals is that the Whites, which are noted for their ability to shoot conicals, are 1/24. I just started shooting conicals and I am shooting them from a GM LRH barrel 1/28 - I am shooting 460's and they seem to shoot really well from that barrel... I am still learning...

I tried some conicals from one of my1/48Renegade (the old one) and I really could not get a group I was happy with - BUT "and this is a big but" - it was with the old pitted barrel that I have. Thought it might work cause it shoots sabots and 300 grain Gold Dots great. I am going to try later this week with the newer 54. The other thing I have been told by people with a whole lot more experiance than me... the length of a conical can be critical from a 1/48 bore as velocity drops - can not stabilize the longer bullets.

both of my renegades are between 543 and 544.
Yes and I agree with that. I just can not explaine the difference in bore size between a 54 Renegade and a 54 Hawken with a QLA - they slug out out about .540/.541

Old 02-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

I guess I shouldn't throw the baby away with the bathwater as I just got the .54 Renegade and the barrel looks pitted even after a thorough cleaning.I went out into the garage tonight in -20F and cast a bunch of TC maxi-balls.15 from a lb. of lead! Tomorrow I'll see what it can do.If it's cooked can it be rebored[jug-choked] into a 20 ga shotgun.Thanx Harold

Quick Reply: replacement .54 renegade barrel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.