Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Big thanks to the experience of the board.. >

Big thanks to the experience of the board..

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Big thanks to the experience of the board..

Old 02-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Big thanks to the experience of the board..

I was reading the rust removal post and thought about my old Traditions Hawken 50 calthat I let go in my younger days and didnt clean and figured it was done. The gun was put away after the 1990 bp season and not touched...stupid I know..but..young and full of it didnt care much back then. Well I have spent the last 2 evenings with 2 new brushes a couple of cans of solvent and 3 containers of TC patches. Well I have about half a container of patches left and the rest is pretty much used up...lol. The bore looks as good as it ever did when I used to use it.

I even took it out and shot a maxi-ball out of it to see what it was gonna do and while I never could find anything that shot real good in that gun (half the reason for parking it for dead) it fired flawlessly and instantly. I figured this gun was dead and gone...but it is definitely alive and well now.

Now if I could just find something that will group good out of the 1/48 twist barrel it has. Round balls, sabots, and maxi-balls were all tried to no avail in its younger days. This gun was made in the mid to late 80's and is actually a nice looking gun..the only rust was inside the bore and it wasnt real real bad.

I am extremely happy to have a "new" bp gun and probably have enough patience these days to find something it likes and will group well.

Thanks again guys....this is just like gettinga free gun..lol.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Big thanks to the experience of the board..

Have you tried 70 grains of Pyrodex RS and a simple patched roundball? That is usually a good start for a rifle.

Glad to hear you saved your rifle. All too often people give up on guns when they feel they are damaged. I was given one such rifle. And I (like you) managed to save the rifle. It shoots 70 grains and a patched roundball excellent.

Good luck with your rifle.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

The loads I had wrote down for patched balls that i was using were 85 and 90 grains...I will definitely try 70. It really does feel like getting a free gun..lol..all it costs is some sore elbows and some time.

I have a bunch of Triple Se7en I am gonna try as well. I am still sorta confused on how to measure it ascompared to the Pyro RS I have been using since I started. I used a little of it in the inline messing around during the season but thats about it.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

My T/C Hawkins used to like 75gr. BP with a PRB. Since real BP is hard to come by in this area and cost more even I tried it with T7, works fine. I dropped to 65gr. but it worked out to liking 70 gr. with the PRB. 85 with a green MMPsabot & Nosler 240gr. HP.
Your milage may differ depending on your driving habits.

Al
Old 02-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

The loads I had wrote down for patched balls that i was using were 85 and 90 grains...I will definitely try 70. It really does feel like getting a free gun..lol..all it costs is some sore elbows and some time.

I have a bunch of Triple Se7en I am gonna try as well. I am still sorta confused on how to measure it ascompared to the Pyro RS I have been using since I started. I used a little of it in the inline messing around during the season but thats about it.
[hr]

The general rule of comparison with Triple Se7en 2f and Pyrodex RS is 15%. So if you were shooting 80 grains of Pyrodex, try 68 grains or 70 grains of Triple Se7en. While the 15% rule is not cut in stone, in loose form it is pretty close. Start with 65 grains of Triple Se7en 2f and you should be good.

Also if you shoot Triple Se7en and notice your patches are burning..
[ul][*]change patch material[*]change the lube on the patch[*]add a bore button[*]20 grains ofcornmeal filler as a buffer[/ul]

This will normally stop the patches from being trashed.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check this thread out: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1217534/page/1#Post1217534