Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bore Butter vs. Barrel Blaster >

Bore Butter vs. Barrel Blaster

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore Butter vs. Barrel Blaster

Old 01-26-2007, 05:43 AM

Default Bore Butter vs. Barrel Blaster

What the difference between Bore Butter and Barrel Blaster Rust preventative patches? Anyone used these? Meijer had 15 jars on clearance from marked down from $9.90 to $6.60. I thought I might try some and if they get marked down farther I’ll stock up.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bore Butter vs. Barrel Blaster

I've never used Barrel Blaster. While I am sure it would work I could not comment on it. Bore Butter on the other hand I have used. I no longer use it as I have found better ways of protecting my rifle.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

bowbender6

They certainly look like BB to me - even says it is the final step...

http://www.cva.com/products/access_clean.htm

Who knows what they might have mixed in, they might have even put some bore oil in, but I doubt it because of the adverse effects on real BP - might even contain some synthetic oil thatwould be a great final touch, but again I doubt that.

If you are happy with BB - I am sure this is the equivelent without having to pay TC royalties to use the product...

Old 01-26-2007, 11:03 AM

Smells like it too. I am not trying to protect it soo much as to get a more consistent bore every shot when hunting or if I leave it for a day or two. If I leave it loaded for a day or two the first shot is usually severl inches high.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

bowbender6

Gotta tell you I agree with you on the bore thought, just not sure I would use that product... and I am not saying it will not work.

I shoot sabots, well I did till recently, I know the bore is suppose to metal clean and dry... but I always do and always have ran a very lightly oiled patch down the barrel and re=patch with a clean dry patch after i load for hunting. I can not imagine hunting in the conditions I hunt and not have some form of bore protection in the barrel, even though I shoot SS barrels for the most part - bores do rust especially these days with the chemicals and crud that are in the rain and the atmosphere...

If it works for you don't fix it - just take care of it...

I wanted to add this new Slip 2000 synthetic stuff I am using is working great so far and it would be really easy to make your own patches with it. I have been using it on this Hawken I am shooting with now to learn how to shoot conicals - fouling is almost non-exsistant even with T7 and clean up is a breeze with a couple of windex patches, cople of dry patches and re-oil the bore for the next trip.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:55 AM

The slip 2000 stuff sounds interesting. I have just begun to test out some of these theories and don't know whta works. Hope themore advice I get well shorten my experimental time by eliminating some failures others have tried.