Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

optional purchase

Old 01-16-2007, 11:00 PM

Default optional purchase

As you all know, I have the TC Woods Rifle and Omega. I don't really need the Woods rifle but have kept it so far because it wouldn't sell for much.

If you had both of those guns, would you try and sell the Woods Rifle and get a traditional percussion? Lately I've been interested in the traditionals.I have a great inline now(Omega) so do you think I should try and get a traditional in exchange for that Woods Rifle? I don't need the Woods Rifle but it would be nice to have an old style. That wayI would have both the old and new forms.

I know it's up to me but what would you do in my shoes? Keep two inlines or trade one for an old percussion reproduction? I could maybe get a fair trade at a pawn shop or something.I only paid $110 for it new. Are there any traditionals for close to that price? I would like something like the TC Hawken. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:12 AM

Default RE: optional purchase

cva or traditions is the only place thats going to have them cheap. TC renegades are cheap these days but it will more than likely need restaining/bluing. a weeks worth of work more than likely. Finding one is the hard part.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

As you all know, I have the TC Woods Rifle and Omega. I don't really need the Woods rifle but have kept it so far because it wouldn't sell for much.

If you had both of those guns, would you try and sell the Woods Rifle and get a traditional percussion? Lately I've been interested in the traditionals.I have a great inline now(Omega) so do you think I should try and get a traditional in exchange for that Woods Rifle? I don't need the Woods Rifle but it would be nice to have an old style. That wayI would have both the old and new forms.

I know it's up to me but what would you do in my shoes? Keep two inlines or trade one for an old percussion reproduction? I could maybe get a fair trade at a pawn shop or something.I only paid $110 for it new. Are there any traditionals for close to that price? I would like something like the TC Hawken. Thanks for the help.
Keep both guns for a friend to use (your young so you have many friend who are not into MLing, I am sure), or put fibre optic open sights on the Woods rifle and use it for not so good days with a scope (I am doing that with my Knight Disc). Buy a TC FL, mine works great and you can't beat their Warranty. If you want percussion instead of FL, William's Gun Sight Company has two TC Renegades, one for $149 and one for $175. Google Williams Gun Sight Company, oh when you order the rifle order sights from them. They make great open sights. Just my opinion.

Chap Gleason Va

PS. If you have a "less fortunate friend" or somebody that loves hunting and doesn't have a rifle, you can think about giving itto them----that would be tremendous encouragement to a young hunter (think how you felt when you got your omega--that is how he will feel--then train him how to shoot it--and buy the ammo). "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks"...says the scripture, so let your heart speak. Just a thought, so you have "options".

Old 01-17-2007, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

Keep both guns for a friend to use (your young so you have many friend who are not into MLing, I am sure), or put fibre optic open sights on the Woods rifle and use it for not so good days with a scope (I am doing that with my Knight Disc).

Chap Gleason Va
Keep both inlines. The Woods has to be worth more to you than any amount of money you will get for it. It will make a great spare gun for rainy days, your buddy that doesn't have a M/L, or to give to your kid when you have one. Save your money and buy the traditional gun that you WANT. After all didn't you just go through that with the new Omega? You bought a cheaper gun when you really wanted the Omega...decide on a traditional that you want and save until you can getTHAT gun. Don't SETTLE.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:08 AM
Dominant Buck

The trouble a lot of people find with "outdated" models, is when they try to sell them they find the prices offered for them are insulting to say the least. The trouble with many is when they purchased some of their rifles, these were top of the line and they paid top of the line prices. Now that they want to sell them, while not expecting the same as they paid, they don't expect to take a 50% or more loss in the value.

My advise is keep the rifle. There is always room for one more in the gun cabinet. Someday in the future you might want to give that as a gift, or load to a friend. Simply continue to save your money, check all the different sites that offer the kind of rifles you are interested in, read all there is on the different models, and when you have the money to purchase... enjoy your new rifle.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the traditional is a good idea, some thihg like a 54 cal. Renagade is as good a deer or elk gun at average ranges [20 to 125 yds as any other ] and by loading the with PBR and waxing the nipple before you put the cap on you can depend on the in a down pour; I have not yet seen a sabot gun I have that confidence in I got a wet load at the breach when I took my Omega out in a down pour. Lee
Old 01-17-2007, 01:16 PM

You guys are right!! I'll just keep it for an extra and for friends to use. My best friend really loves the gun and has talked about getting into the sport. I offered to sell it to him with all the accessories for $50. He wouldn't do that so I offered to let him use it. He didn't go this year butI think I can convince him to try it eventually.I have taken him out shooting with both guns and he loves them.

I worked on the sights on it and got them pretty nice. I put some of that sight paint from Cabela's on them and they're prettyeasy to see now. I just got a new ramrod for it and love that as well.I worked on the thimbles--cushioning them so the ramrod wouldn't rattle. I've had so many memories with it that it would seem a waste to give it away for next to nothing. I shot my first and only buck with it and it has served well for 3 years.

Yup, I'll keep it and use it for an extra or for my friends or people interested in the sport. I might give it up if someone would appreciate it.I might as well make giving it up worthwhile.

If I want a traditional I'll just have to save for it.I certainly don't NEED it right now. It's just one more expense to keep around and shoot. I'd like a TC Hawken or one of Cabelas repro's.

I think I would only get like $40 at a pawn shop for the gun---not even worththe cost of thememories. Thanks again guys!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

You guys are right!! I'll just keep it for an extra and for friends to use. My best friend really loves the gun and has talked about getting into the sport. I offered to sell it to him with all the accessories for $50. He wouldn't do that so I offered to let him use it. He didn't go this year butI think I can convince him to try it eventually.I have taken him out shooting with both guns and he loves them.

I worked on the sights on it and got them pretty nice. I put some of that sight paint from Cabela's on them and they're prettyeasy to see now. I just got a new ramrod for it and love that as well.I worked on the thimbles--cushioning them so the ramrod wouldn't rattle. I've had so many memories with it that it would seem a waste to give it away for next to nothing. I shot my first and only buck with it and it has served well for 3 years.

Yup, I'll keep it and use it for an extra or for my friends or people interested in the sport. I might give it up if someone would appreciate it.I might as well make giving it up worthwhile.

If I want a traditional I'll just have to save for it.I certainly don't NEED it right now. It's just one more expense to keep around and shoot. I'd like a TC Hawken or one of Cabelas repro's.

I think I would only get like $40 at a pawn shop for the gun---not even worththe cost of thememories. Thanks again guys!
Bingo, now you're talkin'. Chap Gleason Va
Old 01-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Traditionals are a blast! That is all I shoot. I would get a Lyman muzzleloader if I were you. The 54cal is awesome.