Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 No comments on Ruger 77/50? >

No comments on Ruger 77/50?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

No comments on Ruger 77/50?

Old 01-17-2007, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default No comments on Ruger 77/50?

I am a traditional muzzleloader shooter/hunter. I have traditional rifles, shotguns and pistols. I have hunted big game, small game and fowl with these frontstuffers and, forme, there is no more rewarding method of taking game. The modern looking inlines have had absolutely no appeal to mewith the exception of one, the Ruger 77/50. This Ruger is the only inline I have ever seen that I liked enough to purchase. For some reason, it's design and configuration is beautiful to me. It is wonderful to hold, an excellent shooter and a workhorse of a gun. Everything about it looks and speaks of quality. It functions smooth as silk, points quickly and easily, easy to clean, it's not too heavy, it's just a wonderful rifle. The only thing I wasn't completely happy with was the front sight, the blade was too narrow for my eyes.

So, why is there very little ever said about the Ruger 77/50? Why has it not found a popular following like the Knight's or T/C's? I'm sure it is not a money thing because they can be bought for less than the upper end inlines.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: No comments on Ruger 77/50?

I think a lot of it boils down to marketing. While you might see them in some of the sporting magazines, you do not see them in Wal Marts, or the warehouse selling rifle sights. You do not see them on TV being carried by big name hunters. Their biggest selling point is their quality and word of mouth. Also many local stores do not carry the Ruger line.

If Ruger was really interested in the black powder market, they need to get more aggressive in new models, research and development, side marketing such as powerbelts or another kind of bullet, but most of all they need to spend advertising dollars in the right places to make interest in their product.

I have a Ruger M77 in a couple center fire rifle calibers. You are right in their appearance, balance, and accuracy. I never considered them when it came to a muzzleloader.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Never heard of it...can't even find it on their website. Do they still produce this gun?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Spike

I can't talk to the knight because I don't own one but I like the TC encore because of the convienience of swapping barrels and having a new gun, the overall length & weight was also a big plus.For a whileI could get replacement barrels for my encore from midsouth shooters supply for under $200.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

Cayugad, I think you're probably right about the lack of good advertising due toan apparent lack of interest in the muzzleloader market. It's a shame because my Ruger 77/50 is a wonderful rifle. Not only is it a quality inline muzzleloader, but it also performs great and is pure pleasure to look at and touch (in the wood version). Ruger has made the venerable Old Army blackpowder revolver for decades and it has been a success, especially with the recent surge of CAS participants.

I don't know if Ruger still makes the 77/50 or not, either. I do see them on the online gun auctions quite often. I guess that's what got me to wondering why they're not more common.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Spike

If youcame accross a new or used ruger 77-50 what would you pay for it or expect to pay for it, Say blue and black syn or Stainless and black syn?

A guy in my office has one and may want to get rid of it.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 3 77's old style with the tang safety. Great shooting rifles and I won't part with any of them for any amount of money. One the 77 243 that used to belong to my dad is now set aside for my grand son who will be 3 soon.

I have a friend with the 77 50cal. ML. he has only put a Cabelas 209 kit on it. He I am sure would not trade it even up for any ML on the market today.
I really think Ruger brought out the 77-50 at the end of the bolt ML time frame. Bolt guns no longer sell except to a slect few that love them Like me.
I am sure that Ruger no longer makes this rifle, probably due to poor sales of it.
Don't know if they will go the BPI route like Remington and Winny? Maybe they will just stay out? Wait for a stable trend in styles and come back? Never know, but they are fine rifles & hand guns in my book.

Al
Old 01-17-2007, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

Guys, Ruger hasn't made that rifle for a few years now. I saw one @ the gun show w/ aperfect bore w/ a syn stock for cheap. Like $150.00 best I can remember. Also saw a Marlin version too.
If I was going to buy a bolt it would be a Savage. Just me. Ruger does make some fine rifles and the walnut is awesome.
SHills