Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Speed breech plugs >

Speed breech plugs

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Speed breech plugs

Old 01-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Speed breech plugs

Is it just meor does it seem as if they keep putting less and less threads on breech plugs these days? Surely these new plugs are faster and apparently seem more of a convienance, but i do not know if i myself could fully trust them. The pressures inside the breech are tremendous!I myself do not want to find out what its like for that thing to explode apart!IMHO i highly woulddoubt that they would allow one to get off a second follow up shot from a misfire or anything of that sort. Asfor the faster cleaning, i enjoyslowly cleaning my encore, its part of the fun to me after a days hunt. I just want to know everyones thoughts on the speed breech!
Old 01-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Speed breech plugs

I was reading about them but never saw them. I also was concerned about the 90ยบ twist then pull it straight out. I suspect that when you place it in, and turn it into the locked position you would be safe. My question is, what if the plug in its own, worked itself backward. Is that possible? I admit it would be nice to just turn a breech plug and pull it out. If it were safe, and I am sure they have tested the devil out of the design.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Yea in sure they have, but just by looking at them, they grind off half the threads so when one turnes it 90 degrees it can be removed. I remember a few years back when some ford pickups, 5.4's i think, only had 4 threads holding in the spark plugs. Well needless to say many had problems with spark plugs shooting out of the heads! i am sure they're safe but its always in the back of my head
Old 01-14-2007, 10:08 AM

I've wondered about that myself as well as recommendations from some about backing off the plug from snug, I'd think that would cause the threads to stretch prematurely as well. I'm guessing the speed style is to get people to remove and clean them more often in an attempt to address the stuck plug complaint. I'd also think any leakage into the unthreaded areas might force crud into the threads more when removing it, possibly causing a lapping effect/wear on them.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

T/C apparently took care of the leakage with the new rifle as it has two compression rings at the end of the plug that are supposed to stop any gas or fouling to get to the threads. As stated, I am pretty sure that T/C has done a lot of calculations and test work to be sure the system is safe and functionable. I still am a little cautious of any new different design also; especially the ones from Spain, like the new electronic ignition.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been shooting an Encore Pro Hunter with the speed breech and it appears to be an outstanding design! Kudos to T/C for this fast innovative offering. I can't wait to see the new breech on their Triumph?
Old 01-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

geoffh

I've wondered about that myself as well as recommendations from some about backing off the plug from snug, I'd think that would cause the threads to stretch prematurely as well.
I do agree... I have been indicationg this for years.... when you work around machinery and your work with metals under stress - Loose creates problems with the build up and then the release of pressure - each time it creates movement - repeated movement creates heat and metal fatique - metal fatique creates ????

Old 01-15-2007, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The plug on the Pro Hunter has a very gooddesign safety featureso far as the plug being in/remaining in position. The extractor acts as mechanical interlock - the action cannot be closed unless the plug is fully inserted and the extractor rotated into its working position. Once the action is closed, the extractor would prevent any significant rotational movement.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

The 90degree rotation breach is used on a lot of cannons. Lee
Old 01-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

lemoyne

but I bet the breech is snug! not loose

Quick Reply: Speed breech plugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.