Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Green Mountain barrels for T/C Hawken >

Green Mountain barrels for T/C Hawken

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Green Mountain barrels for T/C Hawken

Old 01-12-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Green Mountain barrels for T/C Hawken

Hey guys,
I have come upon a .54 T/C Hawken really cheap. Bout 50 bucks. Of course, the barrel was rusted pretty good on the inside. I cleaned it up pretty good and the result is what I expected. Pits. Nothing really bad, or deep, just a fairly cloudy barrel. I guess it would probably shoot ok with patched, round balls. But I doubt conicals would do very well.
Anyway, I knew this was probably going to be the case when I gave the guy the money. I had always wanted one of these guns and I can get green mountain barrels for 145 bucks or so.
How well do they shoot, the green mountain barrels?
Any advice on the green mountain aftermarket barrels? Any other sources for barrels for this gun out there?
Just looking for something to play with, may go retro and put my Encore up for the day and use this thing once I get it running.
Thanks in advance.
Hank
Old 01-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Green Mountain barrels for T/C Hawken

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(cxbe40551enl4dzjwjddfeam))/categories/tableList.aspx?catID=14&subID=142&styleID= 491
I seen light pitted barrel shoot excellent and would try shooting some conicals before I give up on the barrel.I would also pickup some brownell bore paste and go at it again with a 56 cal. brass bore brush,you have nothing to loose except some time.
GM barrel are excellent in 1 in 70 twist but remeber they will be round ball shooters only
Old 01-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Don't sell that pitted barrel short. I have a rifle that ispitted that but is still an exceptional shooter. All you can do it try the rifle out on the range.

As for the Green Mountian Barrels, check Track of the Wolf for prices. If you want a conical shooter, then get teh 1:28 twist and that should stand the best chance of shooting sabots and conicals. Their 1-70 are great roundball shooters, and in a .54 caliber will be an excellent deer/large game rifle.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:30 PM

I am going to give this barrel a try. Was just wondering if anyone had tried the Green Mountain barrels. I can get them wholesale and before I bought one, I thought I would ask around if anyone thought they worked well. If this barrel shoots ok, I might keep it awhile. But, I will probably get a new barrel for it at some point.
Thanks
Hank
Old 01-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Dominant Buck

well I have four of them. I have the 1:28, 1-70 twice, and a smoothbore .62. all of them are good shooters.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

GM barrels are excellant, get the twist you need for what you want to shoot, the longer barrel in slow twist is very good for PRB. Lee
Old 01-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Typical Buck

I bought a GM .50 cal barrel for my T/C Hawken .54. The only problem is that the .54 is a larger barrel so when the .50 is ordered with the same across flats it ends up a very heavy barrel. Don't forget your .54 does not have the same size barrel as a .50 if you decide to order a barrel for it. I just wanted the Hawken to be able to shoot both size bullets. Probably never use the .50 but I just had a desire to do it at the time.