logo

Go Back   HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
Typical Buck

Default sulfur smell??

I am a newbie to muzzleloading, and i picked up the apex the other day at sportsmans warehouse. I went and shot it today for the first time, and one of the first things that I noticed was the very strong sulfur smell. It might be a dumb question, but is this normal. It is very very strong, and i brought it downstairs to clean and now most of the house smells like rotten eggs. Is this normal or is it supposed to smell like smokeless gunpoweder?
125 Gr Muzzy 3 Blade Broadheads
Ripcord Drop Away
Extreme Archery Sight

Hunters aren't so different from other environmentalists; we just like to take home souveneirs.
bowhuntn87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:09 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to frontier gander
Default RE: sulfur smell??

yes thats normal, better get used to it!
frontier gander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
Boone & Crockett

You fail to mention the kind of powder you were shooting but I would guess black powder or Pyrodex. I really do not notice the "smell" anymore. Maybe I am used to it. You will get used to it. If you want to stop the stink in the house, swab the bore real good with a swabbing solution a few timesbefore you bring it into the house and it will cut the stink down a great deal.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck, screaming Yahoo, with a big smile on your face."
cayugad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:15 PM   #4

Welcome! I am a newbie as well but I think you will find its in the type of powder you are using. I use triple 7 and it does not have sulfar in it.
oldrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
Typical Buck

Some like the smell and heavy smoke. If you do not; there are substitute powders that do not have as much smoke and most do not have the sulfur smell. Tripple Seven is the most likely one you will find, after that you might find American Pioneer, Or Goex Pinnacle, the absolutely best substitute I like is Black Mag'3 which is very hard to find and usually has to be ordered factory direct. It has very little smoke and almost no smell. It also has very little fouling in the barrel after shooting. Just a light gray powder.
MLKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
Typical Buck

yup, i am using pyrodex pellets. I may have to give triple se7en a try.
125 Gr Muzzy 3 Blade Broadheads
Ripcord Drop Away
Extreme Archery Sight

Hunters aren't so different from other environmentalists; we just like to take home souveneirs.
bowhuntn87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:56 PM   #7

Glad that you mentioned the smell associated with these guns. I had better get used to giving mine a quick scrubbing before bringing it into the house. I hate to imagine what my gun rack would look like hanging out onthe deck. We are living in an apartment right now until we move up to N. Minnesota. I really miss my old house with the basement these days.[:@]

Mike

Dixie Tennessee Poor Boy .50 flint
Knight Master Hunter .50
Green Mountain .32 inline
HD Road King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:19 PM   #8

It's completely normal. My family complains about the smell but I got used to it. I'm guessing you were using Pyrodex because the Black Powder doesn't seem to smell as bad. The American Pioneer Powder doesn't smell bad but I wouldn't use it.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:41 AM   #9
Typical Buck

I wonder if the the smoke from these powders is addictive? Might explain a lot of this MZ thing.
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #10
Boone & Crockett

Quote:
ORIGINAL: yeoman

I wonder if the the smoke from these powders is addictive? Might explain a lot of this MZ thing.
you might have figured out one of the mysteries of life there yeoman.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck, screaming Yahoo, with a big smile on your face."
cayugad is offline   Reply With Quote