Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Conclusion to 'nother Weather Test >

Conclusion to 'nother Weather Test

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Conclusion to 'nother Weather Test

Old 01-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 'nother Weather Test

this should be real interesting.. are you going to test accuracy with the first shot as well?
Old 01-06-2007, 03:51 PM

That is a really nice looking rifle! What are you going to do if the
chick-a-dees take a liking to that new addition to the deck?Sure is nice to see some snow oh the ground, it's really brown here.

Mike
Old 01-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

I am going to try... That is a brand new Swift Premier 2x7x40 scope on the gun it is bore sighted, but has not been shot. So i will set up at 25 yards and shoot the test shot and 3 additional shots. That about as close to testing accuracy I can get one this experiment

Fogot to add humidity today is 67% Temp 32 degrees- I'll go back up and add the weather information.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

Sabotloader,
Little different than what I do. Once I clean the rifle and w/ patch I then load and put in a padded gun case. Whether I go hunting or not that rifle stays in that bag until I hunt. Once it goes outside it goes back in the bag and if I need to bring it inI set in on the porch for @ least 3 hrs to warm up to room temp and then wipe it down and put back in the bag. Never had a miss fire.Always good till the season end. I would then fire and clean.
Hills
Old 01-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Day 2 - Sunday Temp 43 Humidity 75%

Another great thaw has begunand it has been raining all day...but in reality - I would be a good hunting day and if I could I would be hunting - so out went the rifle for its daily stay on the deck.

It is wet but I am confident that the bore is dry... so the test will continue..

Old 01-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Day 3 - Temp 39 Humidity 76%

Well, the rifle is out on the deck - but it is really a nice day. No adverse weather expected today, just a really nice day.

I am still quite confident that the gun will shoot and will shoot normally, but I do have to work tomorrow so the gun will be inside all day. Just kinda like a normal hunting week for me. I do not think it will get back out until Thursday and on Thursday through the week end we are suppose to be in a Arctic cold mass. It will be out in those temps and maybe i will get to shoot it next week.

After re-reading Cayugad experiments - I ma really leaning to the theory of humidity not condensation being the probable culprit. I can not imagine the humidity that Cayugad is talking about because I guess we do not have it. As you can see our humidy as been stuch around the 70% mark.

I have also discussed with myself, how can humidity adversly effect the powder sealed in the barrel between the sabot and the face of the breech plug? I know that water running down the barrel to the sabot will eventually get by the sabot and to the powder - so why can't humidity do the same thing. Unlike a PRB or a lubed Conicla humidity is not sealed from the powder. Next in the case of the Remington, insterting a 209 primer into the breech plug does not seal water from the powder either, so again if water can get there why not humidity? In the case of the Omega where the drop block pressures the 209 primer into the primer it might provide a better seal and Knight spent a lot money developing a primer carrier that solves this problem also.

Underclocked through a challenge out to do the same experiment with a White and a #11 breech plug. In my coversations with Doc he assures me thathis #11 BP and a #11 cap will be sealed - hunt with it is a downpour and the cap will go off. So - conclusion no humidty or water will get to the powder , of course with any #11 cap you can seal it in numerous ways. So - next conclusion with a sealed #11 and a PRB or a lubed conical the gun will sealed - humidity will not get it.

Question? can you totally seal a sabot?

Just rambling...
Old 01-08-2007, 04:16 PM

Although a perfect seal, both from the sabot and the nipple end, is not going to happen with your rifle; I'd still bet that your gun goes "bang" when you decide to touch it off next week. I was wondering, in Cayugad's experiment, if the powder actually got wet or if it just turned out to just be moisture in the nipple hole? Gotta be related to that high humidity environment . . . .
Old 01-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

The adventure contiues, the rifle went out this morning at about 6:30 am from the house. The temp was -2 and the humidity this afternoon was near 70%. The sun came out and it was a nice day - but cold...

Shooting day has been moved to Monday - temp is suppose to make it to the mid 20's and it is a government holiday so i do not have to work - well sort of... I am stillbetting the Rem will fire just fine...

Old 01-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Temp 3F Humidity 72%

The gun went out this morning @ about 7:00... it went from 68F in the rec room to the deck @ 3f. No weather, other than cold expected today.

Still looks like I may be able to shoot Monday - it is still predicted to warm up to the mid 20's

Old 01-13-2007, 02:10 PM

what kind of scope on that sabotloader?

Quick Reply: Conclusion to 'nother Weather Test

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.