Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 my powerbelt performance >

my powerbelt performance

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

my powerbelt performance

Old 01-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default my powerbelt performance

after reading all the crap about powerbelts not performing well i thought i would post here about my results. to start with it there are 5 of us that hunt together and we are all using 295 hp powerbelts, not the areo tips because none of us get as good of groups from them. these are copper jacketed. the 5 of us in the last 5-6 years have killed 25-30 deer a year, so thats more then 125 deer and all takin with these bullets. we have had no "blowups " on shoulders or anything else. i have seen them shot in thru both shoulder blades then exit, i've had a few lay just under the hide on the other side and found them when skinning. i've also seen them shot in the chest and the bullets go all the way thru the hind quarter.i have read on other sites about people having problems with PB ,but remember one thing . they sell thousands more PB then any other bullets,most everywhere you go they have them. i think these bullets perform as well as anything else. here's one i shot last year,what more could you ask for.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: my powerbelt performance

i should have said above that we are all 5 shooting in-line guns,and cheap ones to. 3 cva's,1 traditions,and 1 nef with 100 grains of pyrodex pellets. all of these guns shoot under 2in grps at hundred yards.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Spike

Great to see pics of bullets. They are worth alot of posts. What camera did you use?
Old 01-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

1" permanent wound channels, massive tissue destruction, 125 dead deer and counting.Full borelead projectiles can get itdone when they are used the way you and your friends use them. Thanks for the pic.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Dominant Buck

I have never shot a deer with powerbelts. My CVA Staghorn shoots the 245 grain Aero Tip with 90 grains of powder so accurate, I really think I could place the shot and make the projectile effective. I've really watched and read posts about powerbelts. While some hate them others sing their praises. I guess you would be put on the plus side of them.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:16 PM

If you push a PB through your barrel with the breech out some of the bullets will not have even rifling marks all the way around. Some of them don't mic to .50 so that being said is a reason some people don't get good accuracy.
I'm glad they work for you but I suspect some of your results like everyone getting 2in groups at 100yds?
I believe most gun shops push PB's for other reasons and they have a huge ad compaign compared to other manufactures.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actual this is very good judging by those excellant pics I would say thats about as hard as you can push them and get good results !00 gr of Pyrodex [in how long a barrel?] or 80 gr of 777 and a 295gr PB.
I have friends that believe in them strongly the hunt brush and hardly ever shoot more than 50 yd they use 70 gr of 777 and the other one uses 85 gr RS one shoots an Apex the other a Rem. 700 and they have real good results too. I tried the 245 gr with 150 gr because thats what shoot accurate out of the Omega and they blow like a varmit bullet.
It looks to me like if your gun will shoot the heavy Pb's with a light to med. powder charge you can make them work alright. Lee
Old 01-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beautiful mushrooms. Chap Gleason Va
Old 01-05-2007, 09:51 PM

Those are great bullets! I like them for targets or hunting. They've performed well in both tests for me.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot a couple elk with 348 powerbrlts, 120 grains of T7
with a WW. Killed em dead.
In an Omega that I have its the only conical that it will shoot
accurately, some states you can only use conicals.
They are supposed to be undersized they engage rifling upon firing as do all conicals. Never shot one lower than 348 tho.
Redclub

Quick Reply: my powerbelt performance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.