Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Renegade - Reborn

Old 12-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Renegade - Reborn

Well finally got the last of the parts I needed to complete my Christmas project...

Most of you know I had this old Renegade barrel that I had purchased off e-bay... It was a bad purchse on my part - the barrel is pitted pretty bad and the area around the nipple shows a lot of use. I did try to get rid of the barrel, couldn't sale it with good faith so I tried giving it away - no takers even when I promised themthat itshotwell - in fact very well. So the next best thing was to build itback into a useable ML'er. With the help of a fellow ML'er and parts lying around the house and one more e-bay purchase it is back together.

Well, it is not new but it is beautiful - now I have this really soft spot for it. I know it is not fancy and not an inline but I am plain type guy so it works for me. I even like it better than my new Renegade. No! Cascadedad you can not have the new one! Next step is sighting it back in - that is the better part.

Happy New Year to you all...

mike

Old 12-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Renegade - Reborn

Nice. I really like that butt plate too.

Al
Old 12-28-2006, 12:25 PM

Great project and you did an awesome job...congrats. I also own an Renegade and love it. Mine has a .54 Green Mountain barrel. It is my favorite of all and wouldnt trade it for anything.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Dominant Buck

That is a sharp looking rig. Now arn't you glad I did go and rust up that barrel on you..

I am sure that it will be a good shooter. I have a real soft spot for the Renegade Rifles. In fact when I find one on sale I no longer even look at them. Let us know how it shoots..

You really did a beautiful job.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

that gun looks
pat
Old 12-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Sabotloader,
Hey Nice job! Congrats.
If any of you fellows run across a LH model please keep mr in mind! I tired of rifles w/ cheek pieces on the wronf side and I would love to try a rifle w/ a hammer on the wrong side!
SHills
Old 12-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Really nice looking Renegade. Ya did a great job. Tom
Old 12-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice!
Old 12-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow very nice rifle Mike. I love the looks of the Renegade. I was looking for one when I bought my TC Hawken,but the Renegadewas my first choice. I like the dark wood, much more than the brass covered Hawken. I feel the Hawken and Renegadeshoot the same, so I got the Hawken, cause I couldn't finda Renegadethat had a double trigger, and with a FL that is a HUGE deal.Very nice "project rifle", I am sure itis a shooter.

As for "pitted barrels", my feeling on that is that just like a pitted knife will still cut (just not a smooth as where the pit is)a pitted barrel will still shoot, just slowing down the ball/sabot and opening up the groupa bit. My son, when he was 16 or 17didn't clean a Knight Disc for a whole 1 year, and thebolt was frozen in the gun. I poured some brake cleaner in a coffee can and poured somedown the barrel and soaked the boltand end of the barrel the brake cleaner. After a day of soaking,I took a rubber mallot and brokethebolt free and cleaned it up and the barrel up with a wire brush soaked in brake cleaner. It still shot great, and grouped fine.

I think if your shooting long yardages ( say 300 or 500 yards) with a 300 mag then a pitted barrel is an issue,but for muzzies I don't believe pitting hurts them significantly, because in truth they are a 150 yard and under gun,travelingat arelatively "slow velocity" compared to a high powered rifle.

Chap Gleason VA
Chap Gleason VA