Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Scope for Optima Pro >

Scope for Optima Pro

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope for Optima Pro

Old 12-25-2006, 09:29 AM

Default Scope for Optima Pro

I am waiting for the Optima to arrive, my wife asked what else i wanted for Christmas and I told her I needed assecories for the new gun from Bass pro. They have a scope kit by CVA it's a Bushnell Sharpshooter with everything needed for 70.00 should I settle with this for this gun or go with a higher dollar scope? I am thinking I should wait till I get a high dollar rifle for a high dollar scope.

AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
Old 12-25-2006, 09:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Scope for Optima Pro

ORIGINAL: PecoSanchez

I am waiting for the Optima to arrive, my wife asked what else i wanted for Christmas and I told her I needed assecories for the new gun from Bass pro. They have a scope kit by CVA it's a Bushnell Sharpshooter with everything needed for 70.00 should I settle with this for this gun or go with a higher dollar scope? I am thinking I should wait till I get a high dollar rifle for a high dollar scope.

AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
I'd leave the Sharpshooter alone. It is the bottom of the line scope. A better choice is some B-Square mounts and a Bushnell Dusk to Dawn scope. The scope is about $70.00 and the mounts are $12.00 (when I bought them) Bases are normally a few bucks. For about $30.00 more you have a scope that will amaze you.

I put a Bushnell Dusk to Dawn on my Black Diamond XR. The first year hunting with it, my friend asked to inspect my muzzleloader since it was modern season. I agreed. When he looked through the scope he asked me why did I put such an expensive scope of the rifle. I told him the scope was $69.00 to which he kept telling me he didn't believe me. It really does draw light. When my binoculars gave out towards the end of the day, I could have stayed actually until after legal hours with that scope and still made a moderate distance shot.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

PecoSanchez

Scoping a pretty decent gun with a low end scope - after my experiance this year i would suggest not to do it... I put a Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40 Mil Dot scope ($100 scope) on my White - shot with it most of the summer it was/is a really good scope - very clear no distortion - It worked great - in fact I have 2 of them.

Them one evening on a lousy rainy, foggy day standing the meadow 161 yards away under a large White Fir was this really nice big bodied whitetail... I could make the body out but I could not see the head it was stuffed up inside the branches of the tree. It was late in the day getting close to the magical moment - sundown. I could see the deerwith myeyes but really couldn't tell - buck or doe - just big body. My hunting partner was with me, he was using a 54 open sighted Hawkin -so he grabbed his glasses looked at it and said he was sure it was a buck. I ran the scope up to 6 power and looked again - it was all a blur between the rain, the fog and the fact I could not get enough light through the scope, we were in a canopy of trees also. Ran the scope back down to 3 and looked again, better but not good enough to make the shot I might want to make... All the time I am thinking I wish I had the Omega with the good scope... I asked Larry if he had any shot at all with the Hawken - but he had regular iron sights and really did not feel comfortable at all at that range and those conditions- it was to nice of a animal to miss or wound just before dark... The deer got a free pass - I went home switched the Trophy out for an 3x9 Elite - a more expensive scope but with the rain guard lenes and better light gathering capabilities - I feel better and I know that big buck feels better - well at least until next year - he will not get away again.

Moral - if you can not geta good scope now wait if you can... The Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9x40 - $ 179.00 - do not even need scope covers.

I just purchased a Tikka 300 win mag (not sure why) took the 3x9x40 VXIILeupold off theWhetherby gave it to my hunting partner and put on an Elite - I like that scope...

Good luck

Old 12-26-2006, 02:58 AM

Thompson Center Gorilla Grip Universal scope mounts 25.00
Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn 100.00

Done, Thanks...