Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Optima Elite

Old 12-20-2006, 09:31 PM

Default CVA Optima Elite

Well, I 've dug my heels in and have justified the money, in my searching I have noticed the CVA Optima Elite looks like for a fair price (324.14)I can start off with a .50 cal ML with a fluted barrel then down the road I can add barrels for more calibers.

Any opinions on this gun?
Old 12-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: CVA Optima Elite

PecoSanchez

Gotta tell I have know working knowledge of the Optima - but it is an TC Encore Clone, and the Encore certainly has been a success. The argument will be that the Optima certainly isn't an Encore but the principles are the same...

Might want to check your price vs these. Triple Se7en found this site, he was really on top of places to get things...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_218

Old 12-20-2006, 09:44 PM

Sabotloader, thats where I found the price. Thanks for the link in the other thread.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

I just read a review on the CVA Optima elite in American Hunter mag. It said that it is a well built gun. Here is a quote. "Accuary at 100 yards with the .243 barrel and the .50cal barrel was inpressive. However I had to spend a good deal of time with the Optima Elite to get those results, particularly when shooting the .243 barrel. A machine screw holds the synthetic forend to the barel by threading it into the lug. I discovered that accuracy varies greatly with the amount of tension applied to that screw. With the screw head firmly sunk into its pocket in the for-end, groups scattered wildly across the target. I found that by backing the screw out about a quarter turn, the gun setled into a pleasing routine of tightly clustered groups. The same held true for the muzzleloader barrel-eventually I recorded some 1.25-inch groups. Relieving fore-end tension led to best performance." I hope this helps out.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:00 PM

best thing about the Elite, the barrels dont cost you the price of a new rifle.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

Thats precisely the reason I chose the Optima Elite over the TC. My wallet would not allow me to buy a TC when I could do the same thing with a different gun.