HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Lower Priced ML's (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/171170-lower-priced-mls.html)

PecoSanchez 12-20-2006 05:34 PM

Lower Priced ML's

I'm getting the impression that the lower priced rifles like the Wolfs and New England firearms are still pretty decent rifles due to the fact that a muzzle loader is such a simple piece of equipment. For a begginer are these rifles sufficent to start with?

cayugad 12-20-2006 05:56 PM

RE: Lower Priced ML's

Even though a muzzleloader might be a basic firearm, there are still differences in quality of parts, barrels, fit of hardward, smoothness of bore, type of rifling, kind of rifling, materials and fit of stocks... etc. So while it might look simple, there are more differences then many people consider.

Wimuzzleman 12-20-2006 06:06 PM

Yes a low priced gun would work for a begginer. I have 2 low priced guns a NEF hertage and a traditions evolution. They both are alright rifles but I wish I would have saved my money and bought a better rifle like a T/C or a knight. If you are sure you want to get into black powder and you have the money, My sugestion would be to get a rifle that is a litle more than the entry level rifle. But that is just my 2 cents.

PecoSanchez 12-20-2006 06:18 PM

Gee thanks Muzzleman! Arggh! That is exactly the kind of guy I am but my wife is sitting right next to me. She was with me the other night at Bass Pro and I showed her the Omega that was running 660.00, she did think it was a purrty rifle til she saw the price tag. Now I am showing her the Wolf and NEF and she's not cringing so much. I guess I could get a better rifle but she'd recognize that Omega for sure.

Wimuzzleman 12-20-2006 06:25 PM

If you keep looking around you will find that alot of rifles are going to be on sale soon. (getting rid of the 06's and making room for the 07's). If you do get a omega or any rifle for that matter try to find one in a store by you that you can look at first hand. Some rifles just dont seem to fit some people. Then you can look online for the best price. Thats what I do.

Big Ol Gobbler 12-20-2006 06:49 PM

I have a CVA Kodiak. Its not a high end gun but seems to work just fine. I agree with Wimuzzleman... as the season is coming to a close in many areas, there should be plenty of sales. People seem to be pretty high on the Winchester Apex and its on sale at Cabela's right now for $199.00. Make sure you know with what type of smokepole your state will allow you to hunt. Have fun!

sabotloader 12-20-2006 06:51 PM

PecoSanchez

Check these prices out on an Omega and he will mail it right to your house...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_440/sort/3a/page/3

You can get a z5 for $250

pretty decent ML'er

PecoSanchez 12-20-2006 11:53 PM

ORIGINAL: sabotloader
Check these prices out on an Omega and he will mail it right to your house...
When I went to the site and clicked to place an order it says they only ship firearms to a FFL dealer. Gonna call tomorrow.

Big Ol Gobbler 12-21-2006 07:31 AM

Are you in one of the following State? HI, IL, MA, MI, NJ, NY. They may have special restrictions on MLs. Let us know.

bowkill144 12-21-2006 07:44 AM

I bought a omega last year with a synthetic thumb hole stock and stainless steel barrel for under $400 out the door at dicks sporting goods in rochester, NY so if you look around there are some deals. My friend bought the Z5 omega and he loves it and it shoots just as good as mine, if you can get one for 250 jump all over it that is a great deal.