Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How often do you clean your breech plug? >

How often do you clean your breech plug?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How often do you clean your breech plug?

Old 12-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How often do you clean your breech plug?

I was wondering if you clean it every time after shooting.

AND

How do you clean it?
Old 12-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How often do you clean your breech plug?

Of course I clean it every time I shoot.

Today as normal, I took the breech plug to the kitchen sink (along with outer parts of the rifle). I have HOT water with dish soap in that. I also have a couple of small brushes that I can scrub the plug wth. I soak the plug for a while and then take the brush to it. I scrub ever bit of fowling and breech plug grease off that plug. After that I take Q-tips and wipe the inside of the plug out. A paper towel to wipe the outside off. Then more tape on it, a thin coat of breech plug grease and I replace it in the rifle.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:21 PM

of course you clean it after shooting. doesnt matter if its one shot or 12 shots, pull it and clean it. and make sure you clean the threads inside the barrel.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:40 PM

Does the Teflon tape clean out of the threads pretty easily or does that require a brush with metal bristles. I have been reading a few posts on the care of the breech plugs. Is the Teflon tape the same as the plumbers tape or is there a reason to use the name brand (T/C tape)? Cayugad, what type of grease are you applying over the tape?

Mike
Old 12-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: HD Road King

Does the Teflon tape clean out of the threads pretty easily or does that require a brush with metal bristles. I have been reading a few posts on the care of the breech plugs. Is the Teflon tape the same as the plumbers tape or is there a reason to use the name brand (T/C tape)? Cayugad, what type of grease are you applying over the tape?

Mike
When I soak the breech in the hot water, a simple old tooth brush will take the tape off almost 95% of the time. Then I like to put some dish soap on the plug and with the brush scrub that into a nice foam. Then a simple rinse and the plug is spotless.

I use the cheap white teflon plumbers tape. Remember, nothing says you can not put on two thickness of it if you like. As for the grease I apply over it, at Wal Mart they sell a grease in the Automotive department called Slick 50 One Grease. This is an excellent breech plug grease. I used to use a product called CVA Slick Breech Plug and Nipple Grease, that IMO was the best on the market. So then they of course changed the stuff and it is not as good as it used to be.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:29 PM

Thanks again Dave,
That is what I was hoping your answer would be. I like the idea of the Plumbers tape and the Slick 50 grease. That sure will save some green versus the gun manufacturers brands.

Mike
Old 12-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I bought ten rolls of the white plumbers tape at Harbor Freight for under two dollars. If you get the white plumbers tape, get the 3/4 inch wide stuff. One lap around and in most cases you have the plug covered. It works really good...
Old 12-19-2006, 03:37 PM
bigcountry

They were throwing out all these high frequency ultrasonic cleaners at work, so I took them home. I throw the plug, nipples, whatever in there, and in 5 min they are clean as a whistle.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:40 PM

Thanks,
Sounds like a good reason to make a trip over to Home Depot for the tape and Wal-mart for some grease and a new tooth brush.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HD Road King

Thanks,
Sounds like a good reason to make a trip over to Home Depot for the tape and Wal-mart for some grease and a new tooth brush.
AAAWWW come on there's no need to get a new one, use your wife's

Quick Reply: How often do you clean your breech plug?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.