Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How long will powder stay good? >

How long will powder stay good?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How long will powder stay good?

Old 12-18-2006, 07:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How long will powder stay good?

ORIGINAL: HoleHopper

Will ziplock bags help? That is what I keep it in.
ZipLock bags create moisture!
Old 12-18-2006, 10:18 AM

So if you don't have access to a cool area, what would be the next best storage solution? We sold our home a couple years ago and are right now living in an apartment, so no more basement storage area available. Would refrigeration cause condensation when removing from fridge or is it best then to just store in a closet? Would it be best then in this type of situation to start with a fresh can before each new deer season?

Mike
Old 12-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HD Road King

So if you don't have access to a cool area, what would be the next best storage solution? We sold our home a couple years ago and are right now living in an apartment, so no more basement storage area available. Would refrigeration cause condensation when removing from fridge or is it best then to just store in a closet? Would it be best then in this type of situation to start with a fresh can before each new deer season?

Mike
my gun room was always my bedroom..i stored powder there for 32 years until i built my home..now its in basement ,but basement are humid,so i use dehumidifier..powder is fine for all that time..i also have hr3031,4895,4320,4350, from 36 years ago, still good too..

you may say, sproul you had powder all those years, 32 out of 36 next to your bed?

yep..
Old 12-18-2006, 03:38 PM

Hey, Thats OK as long as you are a non smoker, or at least didn't smoke in bed.That could have probably been a very rude awakening!

Mike
Old 12-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

yes
Old 12-18-2006, 05:18 PM

Actually, mine will also be within three feet of the bed or possibly under the bed. I am just not going to mention that part to my Wife, she would say the powder needs to be down in the garage. If a fire should start in the apartment below us, it might just make for a very interesting news story.

Mike
Old 12-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

you can get fire proof box for powder..i saw 1 at the gun shop..they have new rules on storing powder at gun shops now..with kids/wife coming into unlocked room, i would have powder in locked box made for protecting it..

it seems today that people seem to have more accidents and more problems than when i grew up..

someone might chime in with where you can get box that would work and not cost a lot..good luck..

Old 12-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Dominant Buck

There is really nothing all that special about storing powder. As long as it is dry, no sparks or direct heatand does not get real hot where the powder is. I have even stored powder in my wood stove room with no ill effects. That room normally runs 80ºs and the stove keeps all the humidity out of the room. Powder shot fine after a long time in that room. Main thing is keep it out of the reach of those that might not understand the danger it does pose, and keep it dry. There really should not be all that big a problem.

One thing to keep in mind.. some of your homeowner or renter's insurance policies do not allow the storage of explosives inside the residence. Black Powder is an explosive. They do notlike the idea of powder being stored in the home. You might want to check with your insurance agent and mention to them that you have black powder or substitute powder stored in house or on the premise. See what they have to say. Or take your chances and if there is a fire, have it in a bag you can grab as you run out the door.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:18 PM

That is a good point Dave,
I had better check our renters insurance policy. I don't think that I want to inquire with the management or my agent, that would probably raise some eyebrows. I think that I will just read about that one.

I don't know which way would be better as far as if there is a fire in an apartment complex. Let it burn up and hope that they do not point fingers or grab that bag. That method just involve some explanation to the DEA as to why you came running out of the building with a bag of powder!

How bad would it be to store powder in a garage, if one was forced to do so? The garage that we have here is a semi heated garage, it probably hangs around the 45 degree mark during the Winter Months. Would the rise and fall of temperatures when the garage door opens and closes possibly cause to great of a chance of condensation?

Now, I wish that we had not sold our home two years ago. The management there was pretty easy going. This might give me more ammunition for convincing my Wife that we need to move North sooner than we had first planned.

I would hate to have to purchasesome type of fireproof vault just for storing black powder in. Although I would give anything to see the faces of someone that decided to steal that safe. I would guess that would be quite a surprise once they get it open

Maybe I should just resort back to plan (A) and use the wow! I did not realize that I could not store that stuff in here.I guess that I could go down to Sams Club and buy some bulk black pepper containers, that should be cheaper than a vault.

Mike
Old 12-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Dominant Buck

ignorance is sometimes a blessing... Personally I have never stored my powder in an area where it is that cold. The main thing would be that the place is not humid. Humidity is the true enemy of powder. As for the cold, well I would guess that there are a lot of warehouses out there that are cold and not heated where powders are stored. 45 degrees would not worry me. The only reason I do not store it in my woodworking shop year round is I seal the windows in the winter and it gets real humid in there with snow melting on the floors, etc.. The windows are always fogged over.

Quick Reply: How long will powder stay good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.