Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Spirit of the Season >

Spirit of the Season

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Spirit of the Season

Old 12-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Spirit of the Season

I have been swayed by a few of you guys that say that if the barrel shoots well keep it. Well this particular Renegade barrel I acquired off the internet is pitted from top to bottom - it bugs me that I have it.

But since it is Christmas, I once again took it out of its isolation in the corner way back in the closet, cleaned it lubed itand returned it to a stock.

Now I have to go back to the rock pit and shoot it so it is sighted in. darn!

Old 12-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spirit of the Season

Mike,

If it shoots anything like my hawken, you'll be pleased with the outcome at the range. Good luck with that and BTW, thats a beautiful rifle.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Dominant Buck

I like those rifles...
Old 12-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

I know you do - that why I tried to give you the barrel for your speerementing - tried to give to sharpshooter also - tried to sale it to a nother guy @ work.... I'm stuck with it...

One time I thought I would put it back on e-bay and resale it with the same description it had when I bought it "good condition."

If it didn't shoot so good I would just throw it away...

I told Terry your thoughts ( I knew this was your thought) "that a person never has nuff ML guns to shoot specially when yaretire."

Old 12-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Don't get me tied up in this.. your rifle, your wife.. good luck with the rifle. Renegades have to be one of the best value rifles out there on the market in the tradtional line.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sabotloader,one of the things that sometimes really helps a pitted barrel is about 20 grs of cornmeal its worth a try. Lee
Old 12-09-2006, 06:33 PM

I collect a lot of military rifles and have come to see that if shoots okay don't sweat a pitted barrel. I have one that is a real sewer pipe and it shoots better than all the others I have. The pitted barrel still bugs me sometimes, that is until I look at the target!!
Bill
Old 12-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

lemoyne

Explain more to me about the "cornmeal."

The barrel works and shoots great - there is no problem in that area it is the pitting in the barrel that makes me sick. I just hate to drop a bore light down it. I have tried several time to polish the pits out - infact it is a lot better than when I got it - but they are there....
Old 12-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

ko4nrbs

EXACTLY!
Old 12-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

lemoyne

Explain more to me about the "cornmeal."
It works very well to get a better seal behind the projectile. In my hawken, the increase was 20% in muzzle energy. I don't know, but I figure the increase is so high due to the pitting in my barrel. In my rifle, its like adding more powder.

Quick Reply: Spirit of the Season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.