Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Load Suggestions for Optima Pro? >

Load Suggestions for Optima Pro?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Load Suggestions for Optima Pro?

Old 12-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Load Suggestions for Optima Pro?

I just bought a 50 cal. CVA Optima Pro and was wondering what loads I should start with?

I currently shoot a .45 cal TC Hawken side lock andhave been shooting 777 but was also wanting to know if APP is worth trying. What are the advantages? I also like powerbelts and was going to start their, what else do you all suggest?

I am excited to shoot the new gun. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Load Suggestions for Optima Pro?

powerbelts could be a good place to start. Load 100 grains of powder and see how the rifle likes them. Perhaps some 245 or 295 grain would be a good starter. I would also pick up some 250 gr Shockwaves &240 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's and try them with 100 grains of powder. I think one or them should tune in for you.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

APP works great for me except I did get a hold of a bad can I use it in an Omega and a System One as well as my Hawken but the old stand by is Pyrodex some guns like different powder but all of them I ever had shoot pyrodex well. If your gun likes it you will like theAPP the more you shoot with out cleaning or wiping the better it shoots.
If you seat firmly and use FFF for loads up to 100gr and FF for 110-150gr [if you have a gun that is capable of handling mag loads; be carefull not to exceed your max in your operators manuel. Lee
Old 12-05-2006, 03:31 AM

I also own a 50ca Optma Pro and I have had good success with the PowerBelts just like cayugad mentioned,Iam shooting them with 100gr of T7 pellets.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bake North

I also own a 50ca Optma Pro and I have had good success with the PowerBelts just like cayugad mentioned,Iam shooting them with 100gr of T7 pellets.
powerbelt builds their bullets to specifically fit CVA's the best. Look up the exact diameters. I found it out working at Gander Mt. I actually just decided to look it up, and in most other firearms their bullett diameter is a little loose, It's a big tighter in the cva's and I've seen the best results out of the CVA Optimas. I'd def. give it a try. My buddy shoots them with 150 grns 777 and has great results. By the way that's a 245 grn aerotip out of the optima pro. That's what I've seen.