Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Pro Hunter loading question >

Pro Hunter loading question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pro Hunter loading question

Old 11-27-2006, 06:50 PM

Default Pro Hunter loading question

I have a T/C Pro Hunter and have been shooting Easy Glide 250 grain Shock Waves on top of 3-50 grain 777 pellets.

The problem that I am having is that I have put a piece of tape around the ram rod to show the seating depth and to make sure it is consistent. After a quick swab for the second round the ram rod comes up about 1" short of seating markon the ram rod. I know everyone is going to say this is because of the 777 crud ring, that is why I tried Pyrodex RS and it does the exact same thing. I have also tried the 777 primers and have taken the breech plug out and pushed the Easy Glide Shock Wave down a clean barrel only to have it get hard to push when it nears the tape mark on the ram rod. The gun has near 75 shots through it and there in now plastic build up in the breach of the gun. I am having to shoot CVA Power Belts to get it to load and shoot consistently. I have the new Nikon Omega scope mounted on the gun and the reason I bought the gun was to shoot magnum 150 grain charges with a 250 grain sabot and get achieve the accuracy the scope and the gun were made for.

Is there any way that the barrel could have a tight spot near the breech of the gun which is causing my loading problems?
Old 11-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pro Hunter loading question

Try scrubing the barrel with boiling water and Simple Green then brush it good with a new bore brush then push a cotten ball through the bore if it snags bits of cotten get back to us or call TC. Lee
Old 11-29-2006, 07:25 PM

Where the powder charge burns in the barrel,is where the most fouling will be. When I clean my prohunter,first I clean down to the crud ring,then through it. Then I reverse the patch and go down the barrel again,and there is still some fouling in the area,where the charge set in the barrel. I work the patch real well in this area,then follow with a clean patch( both sides) and I'm good to go! Try it and see if it works for ya!
Old 11-30-2006, 04:10 PM

ORIGINAL: rks1949

Where the powder charge burns in the barrel,is where the most fouling will be. When I clean my prohunter,first I clean down to the crud ring,then through it. Then I reverse the patch and go down the barrel again,and there is still some fouling in the area,where the charge set in the barrel. I work the patch real well in this area,then follow with a clean patch( both sides) and I'm good to go! Try it and see if it works for ya!
Shouldn't a guy be able to push down a secondshot without swabbing the barrel at all, if he had to. Ido not do this at the range, unless Ijust want to see if it groups with the group shot with a swabbed barrel. However, all the inlines I have had in the past were able to load a second sabot and seat it on the powderchargewithout swabbing. In a hunting situation, time may not allow for me to whip out my patches and swab before I push down a second shot on a fowled barrel. Maybe I need to call T/C and see how they want to handle this situation, before I put the gun in the classifieds for next to nothing.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:17 PM

Have had lot of trouble with hard loading sabots and dirty bores. But there has never been an occasion wheni could not properly seat the bullet. i use a 2 inch furniture knob with a hole for the ramrod and really bear down on it with both hands. It is very important that the sabot be properly seated on the powder.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:20 PM

Try switching to pyrodex RS loose powder. Or the other thing you can do is stick with the powerbelts. I can usually get around 7-8 shots with 120 grains pyrodex RS/ 295 grain powerbelt before i have to run a wet patch down to break down some of the fouling. Does the first shot load easy with the sabot? I dont use sabots so i honestly cant help you there. But if you can get this problem fix, i'd be sending it back and getting a refund.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

frontier is right loose would most likely help try 100gr pellets and see how your groups are just curious what primer are you using
Old 11-30-2006, 08:51 PM

I have been using the 777 primer with 3- 50gr 777 pellets and the Winchester 209 primer with the regular Pyrodex RS ffg. I really want to keep on shooting 150 grs of 777 pellets or an equivalent loose powder charge so my Omega scope ranges out for the intended yardages of the scope. I really hate to have $1100 in this set-up and have to keep on running to the gun shop and buying different sabots, bullets and powders every week. I just wish I could finally get lucky and find a powder/sabot combo that would load and still shoot accurately.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:59 PM

damn thats one hell of a price to pay. I dont blame you forbeing "upset" over this topic. What kind of groups were you getting with the powerbelts and what grain?
Old 11-30-2006, 09:18 PM

why are you upset because your second shot wont seat properly or because you have to go out and buy differnt bullet and powder combos to find what your rifle shoots best.. either way welcome to muzzleloading thats the battle finding the right load..loose powder should help..but if your gonna sell your pro hunter for next to nothing I will take it no questions asked

Quick Reply: Pro Hunter loading question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.