logo

Go Back   HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:56 AM   #1

Default 777 Pellets vs Pyrodex Pellets

Could someone please explain the differences between these two types of powders. Is one really all that better than the other to justify the $10 difference? I currently use Pyrodex Pellets out of my Traditions PA Pellet Flintlock with great success and was thinking of trying the 777 Pellets (I checked with Traditions and you can use 777 Pellets out of my gun) Will 777 give me more velocity or is there really no real difference between them?
www.enigmacamo.com
http://www.camospace.com/pahardwoods
PA Hardwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:15 AM   #2
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 777 Pellets vs Pyrodex Pellets

777pellets are supposed to be designed to give the same vekocity as pyrodex,other than that 777 isupposed to be a little less corrosive and the crudrings from it can be so hard that you have to clean before the next shot[ some have more problems with this than others] pyrodex is actually a bit dirtier but the residue is generally soft and you can get several shots beforehaving to wipe the barrel. Other than the price thats about it ,personally I would use the powder if I was going to do more than experiment,some guns just dont like the stuff my Omega and Hawkens happened to be on that side of the fence . On the other hand some people like it so I guess it works ok for them. Lee
Old 11-17-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 777 Pellets vs Pyrodex Pellets

The better-buy in pellets is Pyrodex. I read alot more accuracy complaints - alot more hangfire complaints with 777.

For loose powder application, 777 FF/FFFis the best of the two. Pyrodex P. (pistol/FFF) is the only one I recommend in the Pyrodex family. It's stronger, cleaner & faster burning.

For pellet application, Pyrodex is best of the lot.