Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 8 Year old Boy and an Omega !! >

8 Year old Boy and an Omega !!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

8 Year old Boy and an Omega !!

Old 11-14-2006, 11:01 PM

Default 8 Year old Boy and an Omega !!

I do not know if some of You Guys remenber Me asking about aredused load for the Omega. Well I settled on 70 G of Pyro and a 250 SST for My 8 year old Son. Well lets just say I am the proud father of a young hunter. MySon took a doe at 50 yds with the Omega, one shot dropped Her in her tracks. I could not beleve My eyes when she dropped like a rock.

I could not have the shot any cleaner if I did it Myself. He helped Me process the entire doe from rooter to tooter and ground the sausage and burgerHimself with a little help.Thanks for the input from YouGuys.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 8 Year old Boy and an Omega !!

Every proud papa better have a pic....where is it?
Old 11-15-2006, 12:22 AM
Typical Buck

congrats that great to hear
Old 11-15-2006, 01:35 AM

OUTSTANDING,now I have to show this to my hunting partner.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Congrat's to the young hunter!
Old 11-15-2006, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like you got him hooked on black powder for life. We need more dads like you to introduce their kids to hunting. Tell the little man I said congrats on his first deer.

WV mountaineer
Old 11-15-2006, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

That's Awesome!! You and he will remember moments like those to tell your grandkids. Cherish every moment of it because they grow up in a flash!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I really like to hear reports like this.This is what makes these forums really worth while. Congratulations toyour son. 50 yards, first time out, and dropped in their tracks ... I've know a lot of adults that could not pull that off. WAY TO GO YOUNG MAN!!! I bet he could not wait to go to school after that. Also its a tribute to you, for taking the time to get involved in your sons life and teach him things and make memories that both of you will treasure the rest of your lives. All too often in this busy world we live in, families do not or will not take the time to do exactly what you have accomplished. You have good reason to be a very proud father as well... Congratulations to both of you...
Old 11-15-2006, 10:47 AM

That is great.
Congrats to you and your son on a job well done!!

Something you might want to consider is making a m/l specially for your kid. Most m/l are very much barrel heavy and to long for kids to handle well.

I bought a used T/C Black Diamond and cut/recrowned the barrel and cut the stock to fit him. Then I put several ounces of lead in the stock. Balances really nice in the wrist.

When loaded with 75 grains of 777 and a 250 grain Hornady XTP, it is a sure fire deer gitter. Shoots very well out to 100 yards. Since I don't let either of my boys, 8 and 10 this year, shoot further than that, the gun is ideal. In the past three years they have taken 3 deer and one coyote with it.

They also have a 20 gauge with a rifled, ported barrel. My youngest likes it while my oldest likes the Black Diamond. Actually, the m/l kicks much less than the 20 gauge. But now, they can hunt during regular gun season and m/l season.
Good luck
Hank

Old 11-15-2006, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

That is great! I am going to let my daughter read this... she is hunting this year with her own ML... a White Lightning with 65gn of T7 2f and a 250gn SW... deadly at 100 yards.

Quick Reply: 8 Year old Boy and an Omega !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.