Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning a ML

Old 11-14-2006, 05:51 PM

Default Cleaning a ML

What are some of the ways you clean your ML? From what the manuals I've read off the 'net say , particularly the Omega manual,you have to dip the barrel in hot soapy water and swab out the bore repeatedly, then wipe out the oil with many paptches annd then use more patches to lube the bore. I wouldn't even attempt that with my stainless Ruger 30-06 for fear of trace amounts of moisture being left after oiling and rusting. Is there an easier way? Can you use regular gun cleaning chemicals (hoppes #9 solvent)? what about a bore brush or bore snake? I've also read that automotive brake cleaner works well andit is cheaper than name brand cleaners. Would you use it? Other sources say that you do not have to remove your breech plug every time you clean the bore, but only once in a while. Will the anti-sieze last that long under these conditions?

Yeah, I'm a new to all this if my other posts here didn't make it obvious. I just think that gun bores and water don't mix. I would also like to use a bore snake because they do a very good job of cleaning my rifles and shotguns, better than patches do and require a lot less work.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cleaning a ML

The point of removing the breech plug each time and then putting more anti seize on and replace it, is a very good idea. The trouble with leaving them in the rifle after shooting is they can seize up and become very hard if not impossible to remove at a later time. Even on the range, if I am going to be a while before cleaning, I take the breech plug out or loosen it a lot...

As for chemical cleaning.. sure you can clean your rifle with that. I use brake cleaner all the time. I just find it easier to take the rifle to the sink and scrub it out with some soap and water. After that I like to run solvent through the rifle and finally some alcohol which displaces water. Some dry patches to make sure it is dry, and then oil the rifle up.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are gun cleaning solvents that remove anything built-up in your bore - that won't do the damage Brake Cleaner does - if it gets on the exterior of your barrel or stock. Spend $3 more for that gun solvent & do it properly & safely. I've gone to a every-other-time breechplug removal with 777 powder. I fired my Omega ML around 20 times a month ago. The breechplug was never touched or removed afterwards. I'm taking that gun up north deer hunting in the morning for 3-4 days & may fire it several more times - before getting the gun home & then remove the breechplug for a thorough ML cleaning.

When I fired it 20 times a month ago & was done shooting, I loosened the breechplug three revolutions counter-clockwise & then cleaned/oiled the bore - then turned the plug three revolutions clockwise to snug it again. That way, all fouling/residue at the plug face area was swept away when I cleaned it. Had I not done that, the fouling could of created a round rust line at the breechlplug face.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

All breach plug greases are not equal,sometimes how much you can get away with depends on what anti-seize or breech plug grease you use. Lee
Old 11-14-2006, 11:09 PM
Fork Horn

It's not so much that you can't use Hoppes solvent, but that you don't need it...andwill need to buy lots of patches. Black powder products are water soluable, and left behind in significant quantity. That is why the bucket of water, some kind of detergent, and good swabbing. Look at the water after you are done. A few shots from a ML will produce much more crap than you will get from cleaning patches through,say,a standard shotgun after 100 rds on the trap range. And while the newer stuff isn't quite as corrosive as true black powder, leave it too long and it will eat your barrel.
Everyone has their favorite detergent, but I have taken to Simple Green.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the info. So all I have to do is use some sort of householdcleaner mixed with water, I saw Simple green mentioned, and start scrubbing. Then just oil or use lube on the barrel after to prevent rust.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Simple Green is a great cleaner for muzzleloaders. The important thing to remember is after you get the barrel and all the partsnice and clean, make sure they are dry before you oil and re-assemble the rifle.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

I have started using Ballistol as a lubricant after cleaning. It has a couple of characteristics that I like. It does not react badly with any of the powders either black or synthetic. If some is left in the bore it will not create a bad mess with the power when shot. It also will mix with water and when mixed it stops the water from attacking the steel so if there is any traces of moisture after cleaning and swabing with alcohol which is the way I do it the moisture will mix with the oil and become inert (I use either dish detergent or laundry detergent liquid as long as it does not contain bleach) and swab with the 50/50 mix of 91% rubbing alcohol and blue windshield solvent before running a few patches of Ballistol through. I find that sometimes I have to resort to regular chemical stuff like bore cleaner to get the primer residue off the breechface of my Omega or the Huntsman as well as the firing pin holes to keep them clean.