Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Other than firing, how do you safely unload your ML? >

Other than firing, how do you safely unload your ML?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Other than firing, how do you safely unload your ML?

Old 11-14-2006, 04:51 PM

Default Other than firing, how do you safely unload your ML?

I tried to do a search on this topic, even googled it but I didn't find any usefull info. How do you go about safely unloading the powder and sabot? Would you pull the breach plug and dump out the powder then just push the sabot through?
I was just planning on leaving my ML loaded untill I had an opportunity to shoot, but after what I've learned participating on this here forum I think it would be best to unload it at the end of each day.

I really enjoy all the wisdom you guys continue to share with us rookies.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Other than firing, how do you safely unload your ML?

I do just exactly that . Take out the primer unscrew the breach plug and dump out the powder or pellets and push the sabot with the bullet in it out through the breach plugs empty hole. This has work well for me for many years. Lee
Old 11-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HeavyDutyWonk

I tried to do a search on this topic, even googled it but I didn't find any usefull info. How do you go about safely unloading the powder and sabot? Would you pull the breach plug and dump out the powder then just push the sabot through?
I was just planning on leaving my ML loaded untill I had an opportunity to shoot, but after what I've learned participating on this here forum I think it would be best to unload it at the end of each day.

I would think that most manuals have a procedure for removing a charge. My Sidekick's charge removal instructions involve, removing the primer carrier, removing the barrel, soaking the breech end of the barrel in a bucket of water and pouring water in the muzzle, allowing to stand 30 minutes, then removing breech plug, charge, and projectile.

Honestly, I've never removed the charge that way. I just discharge the weapon by firing it in a safe manner. Though if Iwere removing a chargewhich was a dangerous condition (like projectile lodged short of being properly seated), I would follow the procedure in the manual.

Phil
Old 11-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Dominant Buck

CO2 Charge

Old 11-14-2006, 05:59 PM

Rebel Hog
Is that a bicycle tire inflator?
Old 11-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure where you have heard the negative about leaving the gun loaded. Everyone I know hunts until the end of the hunt, then discharges. With my Omega, I have never had a hangfire/misfire doing it this way. This year, I hunted elk in Colorado for 5 days. It rained parts of 3 days. When I fired the gun at the end of the hunt, no problem.

I used a muzzle mitt over the end of the barrel to keep rain outand left the gun in the truck at night so as not to bring it in and out of a warm place (causes condensation to form). I do this rountinely and have never had a problem.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Rebel Hog
Is that a bicycle tire inflator?

Cabela's CO2 Load Discharger
$19.99

Old 11-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

The C02 unloader is safe, easy, clean, and portable. It is also very fast. I love mine. Works great!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rebel Hog

That's the exact same fishing tackle box I have for my ML stuff. I think it's the perfect size for carrying around. I also have one that's slightly smaller& similar. That's filled with stuff too -- but it stays home all the time.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Fork Horn

Last year, mine stayed loaded for over 2 weeks before I took my deer. It went through several rains, snow, and other nasty weather. I just uncapped it after eachhunt and put it in its case in the car. At time to fire (in the rain no less) dropped a nice doe at about 85 yds.

Shooting a Knight Disc Extreme, 777 pellets, Barnes w/sabots

Quick Reply: Other than firing, how do you safely unload your ML?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.