Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 First of the season... >

First of the season...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First of the season...

Old 10-24-2006, 01:17 PM

Default First of the season...

Hey boys-
Last night I managed to take my first of the year. I'll post pics asap...
She was a big ol' doe, taken at 63 yards with a Knight Wolverine and .50 T/C BlackMag 300gr. over 100 gr. 777. The bullet caught the back of the lungs and front of the liver. She managed to make it about 50 yards, and left a blood trail Ray Charles could have followed, with blood sprayed 3 feet up on trees, and pieces of lung hanging from briars and trees...Ill post pics of the blood trail if possible...Those T/C's continue toamaze me...

What makes it special, is that i had my best friend and his little brother with me, both of which who have never killed a deer (or seen one killed), but are learning. It is thier second of hopefully many seasons in the woods with me...After the smoke cleared, Stevens (11-Little Bro.) eyes were as wide as saucers...

Hope everyones season goes well...Thanks for listening to my rambling

Old 10-24-2006, 01:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: First of the season...

Matt - Congratulations on a great hunt!! Sounds like that bullet combination does a real number on the animals. I have a Wolverine, so I will have to give your load suggestion a try. I'm always on the look out for a bigger better load.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:38 PM

Thanks Cayugad...If I remember correctly, you are the one who convinced me to get the Wolverine two summers ago! Ive made 85% of my ML kills with that load, and every one has led me down a great blood trail that in turn led to a stone dead critter...
Pics arent quite working...this might take a while...
Old 10-24-2006, 06:47 PM

Here we go...

Old 10-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

Great job Whitehair and nice sized doe too. Where do you get those t/c blackmag 300gr projectiles?
Old 10-24-2006, 08:34 PM
Dominant Buck

That is a nice sized doe. When you say the Thompson Center Black Mag 300 grain, are you talking about a Thompson Center Mag Express in 300 grain or what? I just never heard of the Black Mag projectile.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:00 AM

Cayugad and Philnie- Im sorry about that, yes, they are Mag. Expresses. Im sorry, a few years ago, my dad and I got the 240's with red sabots and the 300's with black sabots, andI think I got a little fixated onmy nickname...

Thanks for setting me straight guys...
Old 10-25-2006, 05:19 AM
Dominant Buck

On a different forum a person I speak tooften,shot a doe the other day,with the same exact projectile. A Hornady 300 grain XTP with 85 grains of Goex 2f. The deer was 15 yards away. While the shot was a frontal shot, and angled towards the rear of the deer, he reported he never hit a bone the entire bullet path through the deer. He did hit about ever other vital organ though. He recovered the XTP under the skin in the back quarter. He then showed a picture of the bullet. Even though no bone was hit mind you, the bullet had expanded to what would be a .62 caliber in size and a perfect mushroom effect. It also retained all most all of it's body weight. There is little more you could ask of a bullet. He shoots a Knight Bighorn Magnum with the 22" barrel which is a fancy Wolverine is all.

It looks like you picked a great bullet. I just so happen to have purchased a box or two of them the other day. Maybe I will take the wolverine out for a "test drive" today... thanks for the information.