Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 range of smokeless powder muzzleloader >

range of smokeless powder muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

range of smokeless powder muzzleloader

Old 10-22-2006, 05:47 AM
Spike

Default range of smokeless powder muzzleloader

I currently own a Knight Disc i bought about 7 years ago. i love it greatly, taken several deer with. My maximum effective range is 200 yards. i was thinking , i might get one of those Savage smokeless powder muzzleloaders. Here in Indiana it is usually raining or snowing or even sleeting during our muzzleloader season. What kind of accuracy can i expect and what is the maximum effective range. I heard it could reach distances of 300 yards or more???????
Old 10-22-2006, 07:24 AM

Default RE: range of smokeless powder muzzleloader

ORIGINAL: shaner72

I currently own a Knight Disc i bought about 7 years ago. i love it greatly, taken several deer with. My maximum effective range is 200 yards. i was thinking , i might get one of those Savage smokeless powder muzzleloaders. Here in Indiana it is usually raining or snowing or even sleeting during our muzzleloader season. What kind of accuracy can i expect and what is the maximum effective range. I heard it could reach distances of 300 yards or more???????
Don't believe everything you read. 300 yds is doable with your current setup but with a lot of practice and discipline. The Savage does it a little easier but it is still not an effective gun for that kind of hunting. The reason being is that 300 yards is mighty farand a44 or 45 cal pistol bullet is a poor choice ballistically. 200 yards is certainly doable but you can do it almost as well with what you've got. The real benefit to smokeless is that you don't have to clean it right after the hunt.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know guys who believe and will shoot to 300 with an encore, knightand savage, they are well practiced individuals and know their loads/guns to a T. All guns are equipped with bipods, etcto be dedicated long range sticks. I bought a Savage but my style of hunting with a ml doesn't really promote long shot taking, if set up I set up 100-150 yards shot max, but spend far more time still hunting or stalking. In this regard a bipod, etc is not advantageous so I have kept my standards to basically the same as my other inlines 200 yard area under the right field conditions.Though my savage load only drops 5" between 100 and 200 compared to my remington which is close to double. So far the remington is 2 ahead of the savage for 200 yards shots, as the only deer I have shot with the savage was 125 yards. That said a lot of guys are pushing the savage pretty fast to be LR rigs, it can be done if you desire, time to develop the load and money to invest in bullet combos/mods/etc.

Cleaning is benefit, as is the nature of smokeless vs subs in wet/cold weather.

Expect 1.5" 100 groups, sub moa is obtainable if you have the ability and presistence to work the gun tofind it'spotential. Mine is sub moa (3/4" average 3 shot gorups at 100). I have shot several 1/2" groups with it but invariably the trigger man flubs to bring up the average. The one thing with the savage/smokeless and groups is it has to be cool prior to loading, I wait 10-20 minutes depending on the outside temperature before loading or shooting.

I posted an example of mysavage group in the MLV thread from last week but will again here:
#1 is cold/clean barrel, 2,3,4 is grouping and #5 is after adjustment for my whitetail spot. Wait time was 10 minutes prior to loading and no swabbing in between. I always take a coupleguns whenI go to the range with the savage to ensure I don't rush the process.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Dominant Buck

The rifle you have was considered one of the better long range rifles every made. I have one and it has impressed the devil out of me. Also as far as weather proof, I have little doubt that the Knight you own is ready to handle bad weather. Like already mentioned, those kind of ranges you are hoping for are pipe dreams to many. 95% of the shooters out there, would have no business trying such a shot. The amount of time on the range people spend to effectively shoot those distances would shock many muzzleloader shooters. Also while muzzleloaders have come a long way inballistic ability, they are not a center fire rifle. There are some limitations to all these rifles. I personally would limit my distances to much lessthen they your expectations, but then I will not tell you how to hunt.

The only advantage to the Savage as I see it is, besides being a beautiful looking rifle, you do not have to clean them "right away." Other then that, I would not sell the one you already own short.... Although I have no hands on experience with a Savage.

Good luck hunting. Just maybe try and wait them out or let them get a little closer before you shoot..