Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Clearing a Double Charge >

Clearing a Double Charge

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Clearing a Double Charge

Old 10-16-2006, 07:22 PM

Default Clearing a Double Charge

A friend of mine came over tonight. A couple of weeks ago, he sighted in his in-line muzzle loader and then loaded it - with three pyrodex pellets and a 250 gr. Shockwave. This afternoon, forgetting he had already loaded it, he loaded it again in preparation for the opening day of the second rifleseason here in Colorado. I took out the breech plug and got rid of the bottom charge, but I'm hesitant to put a lot of pressure on the ramrod to push the two bullets and remaining pellets out of the gun.

Is there a possibility the remaining pellets could discharge from a lot of compression? Or is there a trick - like using WD-40 - to nuetralizing the powder and making the two bullets slippery enough to slide out without using a mallet? Thanks. Roskoe
Old 10-16-2006, 07:26 PM

Default RE: Clearing a Double Charge

you could just soak it in water to kill the pellets and then push it. or just pull the first bullet and dump the pellets out and so on with the other load.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Dominant Buck

That is a real good question. Personally I would remove the barrel from the rifle, and pour motor oil or dish waterdown the barrel and saturate those pellets. That way I think they could be forced out without danger. Also when you force it, put a wood dowel down the barrel and then turn the barrelover, muzzle end down,so that you can push the load out off say a cement floor. That way you can also keep your body away from any part of the rifle....
Old 10-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Roskoe

somewhere - someplace - I BELIEVE I once read that pyro & T7 were not compression sensitive - but the I believe concerns me....

Stick it in a bucket of water & fill the barrel with water... Wait a couple of hours - push the works out while it is in the bucket of water. When push it out use a cleaning patch on the jag it will create compression and force water by the top sabot also...

Old 10-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

PM sent your way!
Old 10-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I were working on it I would run a bullet puller in from the breech end and pull the bottom sabot and bullet drop out the powder load and push the other sabot out.Lee
Old 10-16-2006, 08:42 PM

This might work. I'm really concerned about water having the ability to get around the sabots, which seal the powder on each side. I know Knight did a demonstration awhile back where the put one of their loaded Disc rifles in a water tank for an extended period - and it still fired. Seems as though those sabots seal out water pretty well.

I'll try the bullet puller from the breech end - and attempt to pull the bottom bullet out sabot first.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:53 AM

What about CO2? I'm not sure they have enough juice to push out 2 loads, but they have been able to push out a single load with some force before.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

If I were working on it I would run a bullet puller in from the breech end and pull the bottom sabot and bullet drop out the powder load and push the other sabot out.Lee
I agree with LeMoyne-pull the bullet out backwards with a puller, leaving the top bullet and second powder charge in place. Once the breech-end bullet is out, pour out powder charge #2, then push the last bullet down & out the breech.

You might stand the barrel on the muzzle and pour the breech section full of water or some deep-penetrating solvent first, and let it standovernight to neutralize the powder that's between the bullets before trying to dig the bottom one out of the breech....
Old 10-17-2006, 09:32 AM

That's basically what I decided we should do last night: I stood the gun, muzzle up, against the bench and put a liberal amount of WD-40 down the barrel. Later this morning, I'm going to drill a 1/8" hole, with a 10" extended drill bit, through the sabot and into the bottom Shockwave. I made a little slide hammer last night from a long 3/8" machine bolt. Drilled and tapped the front of it 10X32 and screwed in a 10X32 by #10 wood screw. Hammer part was made by drilling a 7/16 hole through a 2" piece of a leftover barrel blank. I'm pretty confident this will work.

Quick Reply: Clearing a Double Charge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.