Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Red Dot Scope on Muzzleloader? >

Red Dot Scope on Muzzleloader?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Red Dot Scope on Muzzleloader?

Old 08-31-2006, 05:42 PM

Default Red Dot Scope on Muzzleloader?

I recently bought a NEF Huntsman. I had a friend of mine suggest a red dot scope for it. What do you guys think of that type of scope on a muzzy and what brand/type?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Red Dot Scope on Muzzleloader?

I would suggest new friends!! Just kidding I got a Bushnell Trophy red dot it has tons of features and seems to shoot well. I just feel that a regular scope works better for hunting and the dots are made for quick close in action like pistol shooting or self defense.

I have mine on a .50cal Norenco right now and have only shot it a few times. I like it don't get me wrong but not enough to put it on one of my serious hunting guns be it a centerfire or muzzleloader. I bet it would be great on a turkey shotgun.

One thing though some states do not allow scopes that magnify and if you have a hard time with iron sights this could help you out if permitted.

If you have good eyes and can use a scope buy one instead.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:26 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a Bushnell Trophy RED DOT with the 4 reticules and the eleven brightness settings. While the RED DOT is very good in low light conditions, there are a few things that might turn you off from them. Remember, they are set on a 20-30mm tube. So your vision is limited. When the afternoon sun starts to set, you will notice a couple things, its darker looking through the tube then looking over it. Also because of the dot brightness adjustments, the dot can grow a tail. Almost like a half moon. You learn to ignore the tail. In low light, if your deer for instance is close to you, you can see it and shoot very easy. If that deer for instance is 100 yards, you will hardly be able to even see the deer in the low light sometimes.

Reference the accuracy of the DOT, you can do some very impressive shooting. From 50 yards and under, the ability to place your shot is apparent. Some of the groups from 50 yards in are very impressive. 35 yards and closer and you can not believe how well you can group your shots. When you get out past 50 yards, remember your looking at a 3MOA dot. So you should hit in a 3 inch area. Now the question is where is that dot sitting in the original 3 MOA dot. If your on the outside edge of the bull you have increased the size of the groups. At 100 yards I shoot about a 5 inch group. At 50 yards it will shoot a 3 inch group. Closer then that and you start drilling out a large hole.

If you're shots are all close, like 35 yards and closer, this RED DOT will do an excellent job in low light conditions. I think you can do the same though with a good set of fiber optics. I consider them a 50 yard and closer sighting device at best. Especially when the sun starts to set. This is just my opinion. I have one on a Staghorn and use it. But for short range only.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cayuqad, I have one on one of my guns;I have found that a NRA 50 offical slow fire pistol target allows me to have a red dot with a perfect black ring around it which with care allows me to shoot groups smaller than the dot @100yds.
Thought you might be interested.Lee
Old 08-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

Lee, that is one of my most used targets. I find they are big enough to see with open sights and good with scoped rifles as well. I use them with open sights to 70yds and jump to the grid targets beyond that.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

tjcnole
, also if you do decied on a red dotyou might want to try this;
sight in so your "0" is at exactly 12 oclock on the upper edge of the dot @ 100yds then experiment with finding out at what range the bullet drops past the bottom edge of the dot. Remember the dot increases in size as the distance increases you might get a suprise as far as the PBR is concerned. Lee
Old 08-31-2006, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

at the rangei saw many using on their pistols.it is red dot.it is about 2 inchs long and 1 inch high.it was called a j something scope.no big red dot scope on your gun. this thing is real small and real nice to look thru.i wish i could remember name of that scope. i know they said it was tasco and it was called J something. I REMEMBERED it ,it was called a TASCO J-POINT RED DOT.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:47 PM
Spike

I had a Tasco Pro-Point mounted on one of my Hawken rifles
at one time. At dawn & dusk it was useless, all you could see
was a bright gleam from the dot and couldn't see thru the tube.
No matter how you adjusted the dot it had the same effect.
After the sun came up to full light, you were thengood to go.
SoI went back to the iron sights.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Cayuqad, I have one on one of my guns;I have found that a NRA 50 offical slow fire pistol target allows me to have a red dot with a perfect black ring around it which with care allows me to shoot groups smaller than the dot @100yds.
Thought you might be interested.Lee

Thanks for the heads up.. I have seen those targets at Wal Mart..
Old 09-01-2006, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: tjcnole

I recently bought a NEF Huntsman. I had a friend of mine suggest a red dot scope for it. What do you guys think of that type of scope on a muzzy and what brand/type?
They work as well on a ML as on a modern arm. Leupolds are good.

I tried one-didn't like it. Went back to a regular scope.....

Quick Reply: Red Dot Scope on Muzzleloader?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.