Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Powerbelt AeroTip bullets >

Powerbelt AeroTip bullets

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powerbelt AeroTip bullets

Old 09-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Powerbelt AeroTip bullets

again, i am no expert on this ,only over 40 years hunting.any bullet pushed fast will explode if it is lightly made.thats no all bad.i would not use powerbelt bullets under 348 grs if i was shooting hot loads on deer.thats why they came out with new bullet.i like powerbelt 295 hollow point in my hawkins .50 cal flintlock. i can LOAD down,not up and i know that bullet willdo fine. i like that. no kick, no smoke, no noise,no flinching, buck to freezer,i hope,ha.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya' got that right Sproulman!

Don't ask a bullet to do something it can't do!
Ifthe shooterlikes to aim for alot of bone, then buy a bullet built to withstand the bone shot.

I've seen some outstanding wound channels/exit woundsfrom passerby hunters with as little as 245 gr. Powerbelt copperscentering onthe deer lung/heart - using 100 grains of powder at 100+ yards -- also at 20 yards.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:52 PM

ORIGINAL: sproulman

again, i am no expert on this ,only over 40 years hunting.any bullet pushed fast will explode if it is lightly made.thats no all bad.i would not use powerbelt bullets under 348 grs if i was shooting hot loads on deer.thats why they came out with new bullet.i like powerbelt 295 hollow point in my hawkins .50 cal flintlock. i can LOAD down,not up and i know that bullet willdo fine. i like that. no kick, no smoke, no noise,no flinching, buck to freezer,i hope,ha.
Thats true, Any bullet will come apart if you hit bone. Most of the times only little pieces come off. my brother shot an elk with his 270 and after that bullet bounced around, we found some in the shoulder and the rest behind its right eye. Now lastyear i used 150 grains Pyrodex RS, 245 grain hollow point powerbelt on a mule deer and that sucker put it down. I got a double lung shot and it just dropped it. I prefer lung shots VS heart or bone shot. A bone shot is good on BIG game but not needed on deer. I never found the powerbelt either, When i rolled the deer on her other side i found out why when i found the exit hole. It was a good clean kill and no wasted meat. She bled out good to, my hands and my brothers were fairly clean even after we gutted her. It really comes down to shot placement, If you like bone shots, use a heavier bullet. Thats just common sense.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:39 PM

I have used powerbelts in the past... my experience with them at that I have not had great success with them grouping well past 120 yards... they also seem not to expand as much as I would like. This year my friends and I have switched to the TC Shockwave (300gr) and we have a three inch group at 150 yards. Will have to wait and see how the perform (i.e., expansion wise) on game.