Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Powerbelt AeroTip bullets >

Powerbelt AeroTip bullets

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powerbelt AeroTip bullets

Old 08-25-2006, 10:56 PM

Default RE: Powerbelt AeroTip bullets

I know the 295 grns were over $27 plus tax and I live in Saskatchewan Canada if you guys haven't noticed so Wal-mart where I refuse to shop at anyways doesn't sell any muzzleloader gear or any bows or guns other than pellet guns the only ammo they sell is shotgun and rifle bullets. Even in the big city of Saskatoon at wholesale sports its $23.99 for a 15 pack of 245grn powerbelts. So If you look at it my way sure I could orde from the states but I would rather support my local guys and by the time I pay shipping and exchange its the same price anyways. Thanks for looking out and giving me the heads up.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:08 AM

Your gun will dictate what you will hunt with. If your gun shoots ragged holes with powerbelts, then powerbelts is the go to bullet. If it isn't don't sweat it and let the gun tell you what projectile it prefers. If I learned one thing in muzzleloading, it's that don't come up with preconcieved notions because your muzzleloader already made up it's mind what it wants to shoot. The challenge is to discover your individual gun's preferences.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:01 PM

i've started out with the 195 pb hollow point and so far has been easy to sight in..

i haven't shot a deer yet with them..

high hopes this year though..
Old 08-26-2006, 09:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Chris W.

I've had good luck with the 348 gr. powerbelts. A buddy of mine used the 405 gr. aerotips last season with excellent results. I'm thinking about picking up some of the new 338 gr. platinums to try. Supposedly they have a better B.C. and have been designed for better expansion control.
i saw those new powerbelts at wal-mart. looks like they put on a different seal on bullet. from what i read the 348 is better bullet for deer.i am hooked on the 295 becauseit shot so well out of my hawkins.50 cal.i used maxi-balls 370 for over 30 years,great bullet.but anyway i can get away from using bore butter, the better.bore butter freezes in winter and i hate that.but , i lived with it and now dont have to.powerbelts are 11.69 at wal-mart and almost all were gone today when i went to store.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:06 PM

good news,

gave up on buying prb due to cost and went to hunting store
in town . thought i would go ahead and get another 50/45 hodgden se7ens.
looked around and found pb 223 gr. aero tip platinums, 19.95.

brought them home and in 4 shots had it hitting bull @ 30 yards..

thanks to all of you, i followed the spit patch method.
except i used # 13 followed by 2 clean patches and shot like a champ..

before i went through 40 pb 195 hollow points and was getting fliers and all over target..

no more i'm so pleased and impresssed with info from all of you and pb platinums..

i'm in business for some winter meat..
Old 09-01-2006, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

45 cal bill, i am no expert, many here know a lot more than me but everytime i ever got a flyer or bullets shooting all over target, it was always wrong bullet for gun.36 years of seeing it.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:39 PM

appears so..
they were the pb 45 cal 195 gr. hollow points..
i was shooting them through optima 45..
maybe my rifle didn't like those smaller gr rounds?

but thank the lord above these pb 223 gr platinum aero tips and folks on this board helped me work it out..

my next step is to get around 70 yards and shoot 3 shot groups with
high hopes..
Old 09-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

here is example.. my .50 cal hawkins will not shoot any maxi-hunter but put in a 370 gr maxi-ball.shoots great.itsLENGTH of bullet or smaller length maxi- hunter will not stabilize well.i seen spire point bullets shoot terrible out of a 1/12 twist in my 250-3000.i would shoot a speer bullet, same weight, big difference. why,spire point of the bullet,the speer has a more of a ogive point or it is shaped like egg not pencil point.it seems in muzzleloaders that you dont have a lot of choces on bullets that work well.that is changing.many bullets now do to in-lines.my favorite is powerbelt but again, i am not expert on other bullets,other on here are. i stopped when i was touching holes at 50 yards with open sights with 295 gr powerbelt.no need to look anywhere else. i did this also with maxi-ball 370 but i hate using bore butter in winter. pb solved that.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Fork Horn

i just bought some power belts in 223gr,245, and 295gr i also got 777 loose and pellets for sighting in this coming week. i shot a little last summer @ 50yrds w/245gr PB and 85 gr of loose 777 gave me about a 2 inch group.

pat
Old 09-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

I shot the 348 Aerotips last year, with my Omega. They shot pretty well but when I shot a buck the bullet came completely apart, no exit at less than 40 yds. I was shooting 115 grs of 777 so maybe with a lighter load, maybe around 90 or 100 grs. they would stay together better. I think I would of had a problem if I had hit a front shoulder bone on the way in.

Quick Reply: Powerbelt AeroTip bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.