Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

13 yard sight-in

Old 06-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default 13 yard sight-in

I was given a copy of the Pennsylvania Game News, August 2003, edition and inside there is an article written by Dave Ehrig, about keeping your powder dry & Shooting straight. He states, “Begin your shooting close to the target. I like to zero the rifle at 13 yards, which not puts my first shot on paper but immediately shows if I’M vertical alignment. It’s easy to raise or lower the group by varying the elevation of the sights, but horizontal alignment is a lot more difficult to correct. With a 13-yard zero the bullet will print one inch high at 50-yards, hit center at 75 yards & drop an inch at 100-yards.

This system works with rifles in caliber’s .45 to .58 if the muzzle velocities are between 1,000 and 2,000 feet per second. These are typical velocities for the hotter hunting loads of black powder pushing a patched round ball. If you a are shooting a heavier lead slug, such as the T/C Maxi–ball, or one of the many sabotted rounds, your ballistics will be similar if your muzzle velocities are more than 1,ooo feet per second.” The author then goes on to say you can also sight your rifle in at 40-yards. This will put your bullet on the same spot at 80 yards, At 60 yards the bullet will be one inch high.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 13 yard sight-in

What works for David may not work for you. I would like to see you perform his test & give us your results.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:12 PM
Dominant Buck

That would be interesting. I have sighted in at 13 yards to get on paper and work a load, but never would I take it for granted of the rest without spending the range time. Like Triple Se7en said, try that out and let us know.. Maybe I will take a rifle and try that out...
Old 06-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

That would be interesting. I have sighted in at 13 yards to get on paper and work a load, but never would I take it for granted of the rest without spending the range time.
I have a hunch that Dave wouldn't take for granted the rest either. For the record, I always calculate the distance to initial cross over of line of sight and begin sighting there. I just like to do it that way. From thereI move out and there are always has been additional adjustments.

I like helping others to sight in their rifles for the first time. And while I haven't helped anyone sight in a muzzleloader, I have helped with many centerfire and rimfires, not to mention my own and my muzzleloaders.The same thing applies to all rifles. Yourdistance with game is no farther than your practice at the range.

Happy Hunting, Phil

Old 06-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

That would be interesting. I have sighted in at 13 yards to get on paper and work a load, but never would I take it for granted of the rest without spending the range time. Like Triple Se7en said, try that out and let us know.. Maybe I will take a rifle and try that out...
that would be interesting.try say 2 or 3 muzzleloaders and see where they hit sighted in a 13 yards.i will let you folks know what my .50 cal does, if i ever get out to shoot. dang, i got to make time.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

i read the same article. and it actually does work pretty good. i wouldnt JUST sight in at 13yds though. i just get it dead zero clover leaf at 13 then i move it to 25...then 40 or 50. i wont shoot farther in the woods so i usually dont practice past 50-75yds. but when i mess up the sights i go back to 13 and start over. i could never get conicals of any type to shot well but it seemed their trajectory was much worse then a rb and it didnt work to well. cant hurt to try it out. if you feel your sights need moved after shooting at diffrent ranges you can adjust them. but that helps get on the paper(yes i jacked up sights THAT BAD lol) and kept me on the paper at all my ranges
Old 06-29-2006, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mauser06

i read the same article. and it actually does work pretty good. i wouldnt JUST sight in at 13yds though. i just get it dead zero clover leaf at 13 then i move it to 25...then 40 or 50. i wont shoot farther in the woods so i usually dont practice past 50-75yds. but when i mess up the sights i go back to 13 and start over. i could never get conicals of any type to shot well but it seemed their trajectory was much worse then a rb and it didnt work to well. cant hurt to try it out. if you feel your sights need moved after shooting at diffrent ranges you can adjust them. but that helps get on the paper(yes i jacked up sights THAT BAD lol) and kept me on the paper at all my ranges
powerbelts and the maxiball .370 allshoot very good out of my hawkins .50 cal flintlock.maxi-hunters are terrible.