Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Big Conicals out of a GMB >

Big Conicals out of a GMB

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Big Conicals out of a GMB

Old 06-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Big Conicals out of a GMB

I was out earlier this morning shooting some old sabots off with one of the rifle and got rained out. So I cleaned the rifle. Then the rain stopped so I decided I would start shooting again. After all I had not made enough smoke or noise.

The barrelis a Green Mountain Barrel with a 1-28 twist. It is 28" stainless steel barrel with open sights, and mounted on a Thompson Center Renegade stock.

This time I wanted to see how BullShop 496 NEW conicals which I think are actually a 500 grain, would shoot. I had some of them around since my White did not like them as well as the other conicals.

So I loaded the rifle with 70 grains of Goex 3f, and two fiber wads with the big lead on top. I was using CCI Magnum #11 caps. The hits with the Bullshop conicals are marked with the letter C. There are actually two groups there, as when I saw they were hitting to the left, I adjusted the POI and then they started hitting the bull.

I then found an old box of some No Excuse 495 grain conicals that had been hiding on me, so I gave them a try out of the rifle with the same load. They did real well also.

These bullshop conicals load real solid in the Green Mountain Barrel since they are .504 while the .503 No Excuse could be pushed in the barrel with a thumb, but seemed to stay real well.

What would someone guess is the speed of that conical with 70 grains of Goex 3f? I actually own two of these stainless steel barrels and have considered mounting a RED DOT on one of the barrels for our muzzleloader season. One of them has not been shot, but I am sure it would be a good shooter as well.

Great bullets!!! Then I had to clean the rifle for the second time today..

Old 06-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big Conicals out of a GMB

What would someone guess is the speed of that conical with 70 grains of Goex 3f?
I would guess between 1250 and 1300 fps. There is not much difference between your load and the 50-70-500 of the buffalo hunters. Its a lethal hunting load even if there isn't alot powder.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 06-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Dominant Buck

I ran this conical through a BC calculator using 1075 as the speed and .25 at the BC. I made it hit true at 75 yards. Actually for the kind of hunting I encounter around here, that is an impressive conical with some excellent down range energy...
Old 06-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I ran this conical through a BC calculator using 1075 as the speed and .25 at the BC. I made it hit true at 75 yards. Actually for the kind of hunting I encounter around here, that is an impressive conical with some excellent down range energy...
cayugad,

I'm just tickled to read this. I thought I was alone in my interest of heavy subsonic projectiles. I am considering just the load you described for when I visit Oklahoma for hogs and deer. Like you I would be hunting woods with 70 yards the most distant shot. Shoot, I've even been dreaming of a 62 cal subsonic to deliver 1800+ ft.lbs at 100 yards with only 80 grains powder! Oh well, enough of that.

cayugad, 50 to 55 grains 3f Goex will do the trick and get you between 1040 and 1120 fps with a 500 grain conical. What is so neat about subsonics is that the BC jumps higher once the speed is subsonic, peaking at around .80-.85 mach (BC is speed dependent). Also becausedrag is proportional to the square of speed,lower velocities mean dramatically reduced drag. This resulting in 100 yard Muzzle energies exceeding 85% of the muzzle energy.Very, very, efficient delivery of your charge's potential on target.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 06-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Dominant Buck

some rather impressve numbers for something moving that slow...
Old 06-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey cayugad, are both of those barrels 50cal? When you gonna get the other barrel out? It would be interesting to see if they shoot the same. I noticed GM was having a sale on that barrel a while back.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

Hey cayugad, are both of those barrels 50cal? When you gonna get the other barrel out? It would be interesting to see if they shoot the same. I noticed GM was having a sale on that barrel a while back.
Yes both of the barrels are .50 caliber Stainless Steel barrels. I've only shot the one so far. I saw that sale Green Mountian had on the stainless barrels and although I did not need two of them, I bought two of them anyway. You never know when you might want a second one...

Actually a friend of mine was going to buy the second one, then changed his mind. These are a very solid, high quality barrel...
Old 06-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep. It'll do the job.

How did you make an image of the whole page in your browser?

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 06-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pglasgow

Yep. It'll do the job.

Happy Hunting, Phil
copied the page to clip board using print screen, then pasted it onto a document. From there I saved the document as a jpg image in paint shop pro and then sent it to a web server to be published as a photo...
Old 06-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pglasgow

Yep. It'll do the job.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Here some loads I was considering for my nephew to introduce him into muzzle loading. Trajectories are pretty flat to 90 yards. Recoil in the Sidekick is about 2/3 a 12 guage game load.

45 grains Pyro RS
385 GP HP
BC .15
MV 1100 fps
Zero=75 yds; 2.1 in high 40 yds; 2.25 in low 90 yds
90 yard Energy at sea-level (791 ft-lbs)

40 grains Pyro RS
410 BB HP w/wad
BC .21
MV 1030 fps
Zero= 75 yds; 2.25 in. high 40 yds; 2.4 in. low 90 yds
90 yard Energy at sea-level (818 ft-lbs)

Both deliver more energy to 100 yards than 65 RS and 295 PB. I kinda like the hollowpoints at those low velocities in order to get some expansion. I would like to test the performance in a 200-230 lb domestic hog. Ihave hunchthe performance for these loadswould be fine to 90 yards. My thoughts are to find the charge for MV 950 fps with chronoand shoot hog within 10 yards for a test.

After I get my elk load worked out (thinking it will probably be 80-90 grains and 410 conical), I may work out these trajectories, I've already purchased the conicals.

Happy Hunting, Phil

Quick Reply: Big Conicals out of a GMB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.