Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 sighting in new muzzleloader >

sighting in new muzzleloader

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

sighting in new muzzleloader

Old 06-23-2006, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: sighting in new muzzleloader

[quote]ORIGINAL: Pglasgow

ORIGINAL: deerhunter1224

i am shooting 245 grain powerbelt. 80 grains of charge
deerhunter1224,

wow,that is neat info. on our high power hunting rifles,like my favorite, 250-3000 sav lev action .with scope we used to sight in at 25 yards at 1 inch high like cayugug said. on OPENsights, i use dead on at 13 yards.i agree too, you will do more windage adj. farther out, it seems.remember, SQUEEZE.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

With that load, if you are dead on at 50 yards, you will be closer to -6" or so at 100! After a bullet drops below the line of sight, it goes down almost twice as fast as it does when above the line of sight.....

With that 80-grain load, which is pretty light, your MV will be about 1500 FPS, and you will have a midrange trajectory if zeroed dead-on at 100 yards of about 2.5" or so. So zeroed, it will hitabout 10.5" low at 150, and be -30" at 200 yards.....
Old 06-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

edequello:

With that 80-grain load, which is pretty light, your MV will be about 1500 FPS, and you will have a midrange trajectory if zeroed dead-on at 100 yards of about 2.5" or so.
You should rely on eldequello's estimate of MV. I've not chronoed anything with 2F BP and it was my best guess. Of interest, I chronoed an average of 1614 fps with 65 grains Pyro RS and 245 BB Ballet from my Sidekick. I've notchronoed 245 PB's but have the 295's.From this experience,I have the sense that lubricated conicals of identical weight will exit at highervelocities than the PB's, at least with small charges anyway. I say this because the lighter 245Ballets had greatermuzzle energies than the 295 Powerbelts.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 06-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

The copper Powerbelts would chronyhigher since they are not solid lead. Only the downrange Ballet energy wouldsee higher numbers.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

The copper Powerbelts would chronyhigher since they are not solid lead. Only the downrange Ballet energy wouldsee higher numbers.
I did my chronoes on a new barrel. On the first day of shooting I shot only 295 PB's. The barrel was pretty rough. The next day I decided to shoot both the PB's and 245 ballets. I noticed an enormous increase in velocity by the 3rd ballet. Enough so, that I decided to try a few PB's next to see how they compared to the previous days shooting. They chroned an increase on the order of 45% in muzzle energy.

When I returned from the day's shooting the barrel was still rough with burrs. I evaluated the two and found to my surprise that the energies were higher at the muzzle with the ballets. I expected to find energies higher with the heavier PB's because they exit at lower velocity allowing more time for breech gases to more efficiently accellerate the projectile. But then the opposite was true. I suspect that the PB's offered more resistance in the bore along their bearing surface thus reducing the efficiency of the charge resulting in lower muzzle energies.

Regarding the downrange energy, I would expect the 295 PB's to overtake the 245 Ballets for a couple of reasons. First, the 295's PB's are ballistically superior to the ballets, having a greater BC. Second, the PB's exit at lower velocity thus reducing the air resistance forces.Greater air resistance forces resulting from increased velocity and lower ballistic coefficient act to reduce the velocity of the lighter Ballets at agreater rate than the PBs.

Happy Hunting, Phil

Old 06-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Sproulman,

I also sighted my flintlock in at 13 yards, I was just given a copy of a Penna., Game News from a cople of years ago that suggest sighting in at 13 yards. I will dig it out & paraphrase the story.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

PS, Sproulman, I would also assume you are from North Central Penna, I used to own land next to Sproul State forest in Clinton County.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

yes, i also have land in kettle creek that borders stateforestland.its near shepard rd.area
Old 06-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

I did a lot of fishing up there, along with Young Woman's Creek. KettleCreek (lake) isa great place to teach the kids how to fish,
Old 06-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 270sniper

I did a lot of fishing up there, along with Young Woman's Creek. KettleCreek (lake) isa great place to teach the kids how to fish,
kettle creek lake is getting like deer situation. wiping out fish.i tried to get them to put a 7 inch size on perch and bluegills.now, out of town people like yourself come up,no fish in dam.i tried to get slot limits on bass,18 inch and under you cant keep, lost that one too.tried to stop catching bass thru ice and keeping them, lost that too.i told fish commission i will pay for 1,000 fingerlings minnows so fish have something to eat.they said, nooooooooooo.i did get them to put a light a boat luanch but bass clubs helped pay fopr that.it seems that our state groups dont care about future of fishing/hunting anymore.its TOURISM now, watch elk take aleak.oh, there goes yellow belly sap sucker,oh my.