Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Black powder vs Triple 7 >

Black powder vs Triple 7

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black powder vs Triple 7

Old 04-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default Black powder vs Triple 7

I have always used 2F black powder to hunt with but it is getting hard to find in my neck of the woods. Is the substitutes as reliable, sometimes I load BP at the beginning of the season in Oct and leave it till the first of Jan ( end of late ML in VA) and don't have to worry about it going off.
Can you do this with the substites.
This is in a Knight Wolverine using no. 11 caps.

James M
Old 04-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Black powder vs Triple 7

You can shoot the substitutes in the Wolverine just fine. Buy the loose powder. I use it in my Wolverine LK-II but I never leave my rifle loaded for extended periods of time.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are too many variables to even give you a proper answer. Even a self-drying blackpowder can turn to wet mush under your nipplein bad weather on any given day between October & January. If you have been doing this repeately between October & January with 100% success, you are either a very lucky man (or) a man that does not hunt or store his rifle in humid, wet weather -- nor exhibit your rifle to rapidly changing temperatures.

BTW... I shoot my load at the end of each day. I don't care if the land is private or public. I always start with a fresh loadthe next morning.

Old 04-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I guess a proper answer would require knowing what you load with.
I load my Hawken 54 cal with a loose dry patch on top the powder a greased patch around the ball [a 535 with a 22 thousands ticking] and I wax the nipple. I won a bet from a friend by submerging it in the creek for a full minute pouring the water out and shooting it .If you tried that with an inline with a sabot it would drown it and it would not fire;I intend to start working on the inlines with the purchase of one of those 25 apc ignition systems and am looking for something to seal around the sabot to water proof it. Lee
Old 04-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

martinfaw

It probably not the smartest idea in the world, but I do load T7-2f on a Friday in October and I may not shoot it until the last of the season in November, provided that I have not in my mind contaminated the load with any contaminate. On lousy wet days I will more than likely shoot the load out.

Old 04-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Dominant Buck

I honestly used to do the same thing, leave a rifle loaded all season. I was a Pyrodex RS user at the time. I had loaded the rifle, and followed all the guidelines of making sure the rifle was not contaminated. Then I was sitting on my stand during modern rifleseason and finally a small deer came down the hill. I looked and it was a legal doe, so I cocked the rifle took aim and smiled knowing I was finally going to get a deer. When that cap popped and nothing happened I could have died. I recapped and the same thing, cap fired and nothing. The deer took off of course.

I then pulled th nipple packed powder, and capped. Nothing... I again, powdered the nipple, checked to make sure the load had not moved and this time it had a long hangfire and went off.

Two years agom I did the same test with an inline and a traditional rifle. This was really a test asI was not about about hunt the next day with the rifles. I had hunted all day with two different rifles, an inline and a traditional. I did the weather proof steps, and stored both of them that night, in the wood shop which was not heated. The next morning the traditional fired like a warm spring day. The inline (my Black Diamond XR of all rifles) did not fire with the first primer but did fire, off the second one.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for your replys,Sabotloader says he can load Triple 7 and carry it all season,Cayugad misfired on pyrodex I'm using Black Powder and if I don't hunt in the rain can carry my gun all season and not worry about misfires heck sometimes after the season I forget to fire and clean, get the gun out next season and it fires no hang.
The black powder want corrode your barrel untill its fired.
Ijust can't find black powder anymore and I personally don't think the substitutes are as reliable but want yawls opinion.

James M.

Old 04-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

martinfaw

I personally think they are as reliable if you no how they work. All subs require a higher ignition temperature and all subs have a higher tendancy to absorb moisture. If you know and understand these two facts you are well on your way. When I bring ny rife in from the cold I do bring it in the house to a warm temperature if I am not going to use if for a few days. This allows the powder to give up moisture if it has gathered any. The day before I am going to use it - it goes back to the outside temperature and remains in that temp until I am done for the weekend or what ever the hunting period might be.

I can not use 2f powder in a sidelock and get consistent ignition with a #11 or a Musket cap with the temperature drops to freezing and below. I have since switched to 3f and have never had a problem in the cold since. 3f can be tapped out under the nipple very easily if you do not dump the entire load in at one time.

Old 04-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Justorder some off of the internet.
www.powderhouse.com
www.powderinc.com
www.grafs.com

Old 04-15-2006, 10:04 AM

The climate is pretty dry out here - particularly at high altitude. I generally use Pyrodex or T7 and leave the gun loaded (in hunting camp) for the entire 10 day season. All the animals I have killed, however, have been during the first three days of the Colorado elk season.

In the wetter or more humid climate of the midwest,I think I would be looking at a new charge every day - or every other day.

Quick Reply: Black powder vs Triple 7

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.