Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Inline Question

Old 02-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Spike

Default Inline Question

Being new to the inline world, on the bolt style guns are you supposed to lube the striker or not? if yes with what? I have a Black
Diamond and a Knight Bighorn
Old 02-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Inline Question

I use Rem Oil on my inlines that have a bolt.....a little goes a long way. If the temperature is below freezing, I wipe the bolt dry.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Remington dri lube all the time on all my bolt guns.

Al
Old 02-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Dominant Buck

I use a heavy duty silicone spray I purchase in automotive stores. I give the bolt a light spray and then a quick wipe with a patch and assemble. That way it will not freeze in bitter cold and it slides easy. Also it seems to clean up easy with the silicone on it.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:58 PM

Be careful with the striker sticking on the Black Diamond. After about a dozen or so shots (particularly with Pyrodex), enough powder residue will build up around the striker to sometimes cause it to hang up. This happened to me last year - pulled the trigger - nothing happened - thought I must have put the safety on - as as relaxed and looked over to see if the safety had become inadvertently engaged, the gun suddenly discharged. It was pointed downrange, but not held very securely and scared the cr*p out of me nonetheless.

I now pull the striker back and forth a couple of times after each shot to make sure it isn't getting sticky.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rem oil for normal use.Powdered graghite from a farm store for cold. Lee
Old 02-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Breakfree CLP
Old 02-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info guys. Roskoe, funny thing you should mention the "hangfire" thing with the Black Diamond as I too have already had this happen, only after making sure the safety was off and it wasn't going to shoot I pulled the 209 cap off before anything could happen. When I tore down the gun to clean it it was filthy with poeder residue on the bottom of the striker where the trigger contacts it. I too was shooting Pyrodex and it was after 9 shots. I don't think I'll use that powder in that gun again. I've since bought some APP 2F and tried that and after 6 shots there was no buildup around the striker. The APP I purchased was 2F but after reading some of these posts I wonder if 3F would work better out of my 24 inch barrel?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:09 AM
Dominant Buck

I had my Black Diamond XR one afternoon after about 20 shots, slow down so much that you could watch the striker slide move. It finally got to where it would not cock. I never had the experience you and Roskoe had (thank goodness). My one other objection about the Black Diamond is when I field strip it to wipe the striker off and the striker slide area out, putting that locking nut back on with the rifle still all in tact can be a real.. [:@] Other then cleaning it, that rifle wil really shoot!
Old 03-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dakotabowhunter,Be aware that the pressure goes up much faster with FFF. I have been using APP for some time,I have tried about everthing out there and am still checking Pinnacle out,So far the best combination of speed pressure and accuracy has come from APP FF. Lee

Quick Reply: Inline Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.