Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shockey Gold Report >

Shockey Gold Report

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shockey Gold Report

Old 01-27-2006, 02:50 PM

Default Shockey Gold Report

It finally warmed up a little around here and I went to the range, hoping it would be reasonably dried out from the snow we had last Friday. Not. Major mud bowl. Nonetheless, I hadn't shot a smokepole for over a month and wanted to get an idea of how the Jim Shockey Gold in the 2F and 3F would perform out of my scoped Omega.

I tried 135 grains of the 2F with a 250 Shockwave. It grouped about 1.5" and shot maybe 3" higher than the same bullet with 130 grains of Pyrodex pellets. Recoil was fairly stiff. I blew one over the chronograph and it read 2428!! I decided to confirm that reading with another shot, and the sabot hit the readout part of the instrument - putting a 1/2 dent in it. I could still see the first two numbers on the digital readout flickering 24, so I'm figuring the first one wasn't a fluke. It's goingback to Chrony for repairs. Sure hope they stand behind their stuff.

I then tried 110 grains of the 3F with a 200 grain Shockwave. This was a real nice load to shoot. Grouped a little over an inch. Loads nice too - just the right balance of firm, but not too tight. Same point of impact as the 250 Shockwave. Sure would like to know what the speed is . . . .

I had also, for some time, wanted to try some different sabots with the Barnes Expanders. The regular Harvester 50/45 (H5045SB) was just right with these bullets. Shot well too. I brought some Harvester Crush Rib sabots along in case the regular Harvesters were too tight - wound up not even trying them.

The Jim Shockey Gold powder, as advertised, leaves only a light coating of beige colored dust in the bore. One patch wetted with Cayugad's swabbing solution got it out. So far, I'm impressed.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:15 PM

Default RE: Shockey Gold Report

I've been shooting the 3f gold for a little while and it works really well out of my omega. 100gr'sof 3f underneath a Barnes 250gr mz are giving me pretty close to one hole 3 shot groups at 50yds, still need to stretch it out to 100+ but so far very happy.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Dominant Buck

2428 fps that thing is moving!! I never thought there was a season on Chronographs. Leave it to Roskoe to be up on that stuff and bag one right off the bat. Hope the damage is not serious.

How big are the granules on the 2f Shocky Gold? Is this powder the same as the APP, just filtered better, right? My APP and Black Mag3 should be arriving tomorrow!!!!
Old 01-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am sure glad you posted this one, I thought there was something wrong with my Crony; I have been subtracting a few hundred ft just because I could not believe it. Wait till you try the crush ribs with Shock Waves I pushed one through to see how they loaded have not had a chance to shoot groups yet, but if they shoot as nice as they load!! Lee
Old 01-27-2006, 04:27 PM

The stuff looks like Kitty Litter; and the 2F is about twice as coarse as 3F. When I measured the 2F, I used two "scoops" of the measure set at 67 grains. I don't really see a downside to the coarseness. They both shot well.

Chrony is toast. This is the second one I have toasted. First one was just about to receive a .300 Win Mag bullet when a gust of wind tipped it up and blew it off the table. Hit the digital readout part dead center with a 180 Hornady. This was in 1992. Maybe the foks at Chronywill have forgotten by now. Seriously, though, this is an occupational hazard of shooting any sabot load for a speed check. I have bent numerous rods and sunshades in the past . . . was just a matter of time before the sabot hit something expensive.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Fork Horn

If you remember awhile back I posted some info on my results over T7 and I shot a high POI also. I too noticed a sharper recoil and also thought the trej. seemed to be much flatter and faster. It's to bad your chrony jumped out in front on the sabot and committed sabocide. I was looking forward to your results. If you get this one repaired and give it another go I'd still love to hear the outcome.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:02 AM
Typical Buck

I have a base model Crony and I made a plexiglas shield for the readout after I burned through the first one with black powder residue. Someone actually makes a shield (maybe Crony) but I made my own which has kept mine from being destroyed up to now. My shield covers the front and goes over the top to protect the pickups also.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Grouse makes a chrony box. Pretty nice too so far as I can tell. Pretty reasonable pricing if you aren't inclined to make one yourself. http://www.chuckhawks.com/muzzleblaster_chrono_box.htm I think me and Cayugad are the only two people in the universe that don't own a chronograph.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Make that 3 Rich... plus no plans to everown one in the forseeable future!

I simply use the paper holes to achieve what I need. I've yet to buy a measuring scale also. However, I see the days of weight measurement coming soon to the top of my utility room work bench.

I'm hoping Santa Claus is a ML user- annonymous member here & reading this thread.