Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Inexpensive Scope for 50 Cal BP? >

Inexpensive Scope for 50 Cal BP?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Inexpensive Scope for 50 Cal BP?

Old 12-19-2005, 09:33 AM
Spike

Default Inexpensive Scope for 50 Cal BP?

OK all I just recieved a New Frontier 50 Cal Mag BP rifle for Christmas and I was wondering if it would be worth it to put an inexpensive Scope on it?

I was looking in my Cabela's catalog at the Tasco 3-9x32 for $34.99 or the Simmons 3-9x40 for $49.99.

I shot my gun yesterday and got 4" grouping at 100 yards with open sights and am very pleased with that. I would like to get those results at 150 yards and with the open sights I can't see that far, as the target is gone behind the sight.

I know a good Leupold scope is the right purchase, but I'm not in the position to buy one and also I don't see the need to put a 4-500 dollar scope on a $110 dollar gun.

Input? How many of you use a scope with your guns and is it worth the investment? Also would this power scope get me to the 150-175 range that I want with a BP 50 Cal?

I'm 240 Grain 45 XTP's, w/ 100 grain of 777 pellets, if I go out to 150 yards I will probably shoot 130 or 150grain with same sabot.

Thanks
Keith
Old 12-19-2005, 09:37 AM

Default RE: Inexpensive Scope for 50 Cal BP?

A lot of folks on this board use Bushnell Trophy and Bushnell Banner scopes on their smokepoles. Both of the scopes you mention would be suspect, from my experience, to standing up to heavy recoil over time.

If you can afford it, I would go for a Burris or Leupold - even alow-end used one.

I can shoot pretty well with peep sights out to 150 yards. Past that, the scope becomes a pretty important accessory. Also is nice to have in low light conditions.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

I purchased the Pine Ridge from Cabela's for my CVA Kodiak Mag. I realize it is not the best scope in the world, but it has worked for me so far. I have been shooting itfor about1.5 years. It did improve my groups even at the 100 yards mark
Old 12-19-2005, 10:48 AM

I used one of the Pine Ridge scopes from Cabelas this year and it worked fine. It is the 2.5 x 7 model that is made for muzzleloading. It is parallex free at 50 yards and has 4 inches of eye relief. I think they have the scope, mounts, and rings for 69.99 new. I havent had mine in any foul weather, but the adjustments are tight and positive and my rifle shot very accurately with it. It is also very clear and compares to other higher priced scopes. Try one, you can always send it back during their return period if you dont like it. I used mine this year and it killed my deer like any other scope would have. Go here to check it out http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&id=0031466 215811a&navCount=1&podId=0031466&paren tId=cat20760&navAction=push&catalogCode=IF &rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat2076 0&hasJS=true
Old 12-19-2005, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try a Simmons Aetec. You can get them on close out from Natchez.com for a very reasonable price. Actually I am going to check right now to see if the prices have come down any and I will pick up another one. I already have 4 why not one more.

Tom
Old 12-19-2005, 11:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I personally would stay away from the cheaper Tasco and Simmons. I just do not feel they have the internal strength to take some of the abuse a muzzleloader can hand out. If you want a inexpensive but quality scope look at the Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn series. Get a 3-9x40 power since you want to shoot out to 175 yards or further. Also make sure it has 4" eye relief.

My Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn is a 1.5-4.5X32mm with 3.5" (I believe) eye relief. Excellent clarity, good focus, excellent light gathering abiilty, over all an very impressive scope for $68.95. They will be coming down in price right after the first of the year also. Anyway, the devil tried to kiss me the other day shooting 100 grains Goex 2f and a MMP sub base with a 385 grainGreat Plains Conical. I got lax in my form, and it attempted to remind me to pay attention. It did not get me but I felt it brush, and it was all my fault.I was too concentrated on target sight picture and relaxed my grip. By the way that load is fantastic for accuracy and down range thump!

The Bushnell is a good scope for the money. I really like there 2-7x32 Legend I believe it is a friend of mine has on his 30-30, but they run about $140.00. Another scope I am shooting that is excellent is a Sightron I 3-9x40 . Triple Se7en told me about them and since he is correct 99% of the time I bought one on his recommendation. What a nice scope for $129.00.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would also stay away from the cheap Tasco's, Bushnell's and Simmons'. I have a Leupold 2-7x33 on my Omega. Bought it 2 years ago off ebay for less than 100 bucks. Look at ebay and you can find some good deals on Leupold from time to time. Another scope I like is the Bushnell Elite 3200....you can get these for around 160 bucks.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

I would strongly encourage you not to buy a $50.00 scope. You generally get what you pay for in optics, and $50.00 buys you the cheapest constructed stuff out there. It may look OK and work for a while, but eventually it will fail you, usually at the most inopportune moment.

I am a Nikon guy lately and picked up a new 2X7 Nikon Prostaff on Ebay $97.00 plus shipping. This is a very good scope for the money IMO. I also bought a 3X9 slightly used Buckmaster for $132.00 plus shipping. This is the a great scope for the money IMO.

Use the open sights and save the money until you have enough to buy something around $100.00 or so.

Good luck
Old 12-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

I've got a nikon prostaff 2 x 7 that won't holdzeroon my disc shooting 240g xtp and 90 gr pyrodex. I've always have been an you get what you pay for guy however I've had extreemly good luck with the BSA 4 x 32 (around $25), it holds it's zero and has decent clarrity, the only draw back is a click is anywhere from the 1/4" that it says to 1/2 in or more, so it takes a little more to get it where you want it.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

kkeiser

I hate to go against the gain here especially on record, but I have a Tasco World Class 3x9x40 Mil Dot reticle, I think it cost me somewhere around the $50 mark. I felt the same way as you then- now I gotta tell you the scope has been on an A&H 50 cal for probably 5 years now - I shoot the gun quite a bit and I love the scope, and every year I say I am going to replace it but!it has never been a problem. BUT because of all the skepticle things I have heard about Tasco - I do have another scope in storage ready to replace it - but it justs keep on ticking and I love the Mil Dot especially on an ML.

Now, I also need to tell you I have Bushnell Elites on the other two inlines, but I still like the Mil Dot better than the Double X reticle.

good luck

Quick Reply: Inexpensive Scope for 50 Cal BP?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.