Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

MDM Buckwacka...

Old 12-16-2005, 10:41 PM

Default MDM Buckwacka...

I have only had one thing wring with my new MDM buckwacka. although it wasn't the guns fault...i can still blame it on it. I had been tracking this deer since i saw him this moring, i couldn;t get a shot at him and so i waited 20 min. then came off my tree stand and started trscking, i had the wind perfect-everything was perfect. after three hourse, and 2 mountains- i finally caught up to the elusive monster. i crept within 50 yards, waited for the "perfect" quartering away shot, and pulled the 3 pounds ofd trigger resistance. the just went ssscccchhhhhhtthhhhhhhhhh, and the powder pellets i use in my muzzloader, flew out the barrel on fire, they-went in a big arc and landed 20 yards away, right with my bullet-then all of a sudden the little powder pellets blew up, scaring the huge 9 pointer away. I went back to the truck and cleaned the gun-reloaded-and then shot again-the same thing happened, and then i tried some regular loose powder and she touched right off. I will never again go to powder pellets and am quite content with the loose powder I hunt with now.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: MDM Buckwacka...

I've heard of other pellet shooters tell the same story. They usually go to loose powder to correct that. Better luck next time.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup was a site to see the second Clear Shot pellet leave a smoking trail out the muzzle of my brothers T/C Black Diamond few years back at the range. Now imagin that smoking pellet in a hunting area tinder dry.
Sure does raise the hair on the back of my neck. Loose powder is so easy I am amazed at the amount of people useing pellets.

Al
Old 12-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Never muzzleloader hunt out of hollowed out large hay bales also. Very dangerous. And flintlocks are an absolute NO! No! Not me mind you, but I know a guy who took a chain saw and hollowed out one of the huge bales of hay on his farm,because he noticed the deer walked around it like it was not there. He built a nice seat in that and sat with his flintlock. Well sure enough, he got a shot.

We call him Smokey now...
Old 12-18-2005, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Never muzzleloader hunt out of hollowed out large hay bales also. Very dangerous. And flintlocks are an absolute NO! No! Not me mind you, but I know a guy who took a chain saw and hollowed out one of the huge bales of hay on his farm,because he noticed the deer walked around it like it was not there. He built a nice seat in that and sat with his flintlock. Well sure enough, he got a shot.

We call him Smokey now...
BUT, did he get the deer????
Old 12-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Dominant Buck

yes he actually did, and managed to put the fire out with the snow on the ground.